Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shellac

I shoot shellac and waterborne finishes with the same HPLV conversion gun. (Mine happens to be a Wagner) Same setup, even...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
    What is the best Sprayer for shellac to give nicest top coat? Spray and done!
    Up to $400 if it makes a difference to go that high..

Thought I'd jump in with that question because I'm loving shellac more than everything else I've used...
    Without a doubt the Earlex 5500 - $320
    http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-...ds=earlex+5500
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I shoot shellac with a cheap HVLP sprayer from Woodcraft. It was about $80 on sale. I believe the HF and Rockler models are similar. If you are like me (an occasional sprayer of shellac, Deft brushing lacquer, and aniline dye diluted in ethanol), then this sprayer will do everything you need to do with minimal fuss, mess, and expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I shoot shellac and waterborne finishes with the same HPLV conversion gun. (Mine happens to be a Wagner) Same setup, even...

Jim, How hard is the clean up when wagner is used for shellac.. Do you take it apart each time

Would you consider shellac to be as hazardous to spray (in terms of explosion danger) as lacquer?

Nelson

No but protect your lungs. The drunk you get from inhaling the DNA is not nice...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
    Jim, How hard is the clean up when wagner is used for shellac.. Do you take it apart each time
    I do disassemble my gun to clean after shooting DNA through it after spraying shellac. The one-way valve, in particular, on the pressure tube between the gun and the cup needs to be cleaned thoroughly so that the little plastic thingie (technical term... ) doesn't get stuck and shut off the air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...