Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making window sash by hand?

Ted Ingraham made a video of sash making by hand a few years ago. It is called the House Joiner and shows up a few places. When I watched it, there were a few things that I thought were a kind of clumsy, but this will definitely give one an idea of what is involved.

https://woodandshop.com/the-house-jointer-make-sash-windows
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 09-06-2017 at 5:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cavey View Post
    Hi Zach, does you offer to help with sash storms still stand? Like would you send me the build articles you have? I like in Kalamazoo and have 15 sash storms to get done before winter hits so your help would be very much appreciated. I have done a bit of woodworking and consider myself to be intermediate skill level. I own and use a decent number of hand planes, saws, and chisels so I prob just need a good primer and I'd be good to go.

Thanks - Greg
    Hi Greg -

I lived in Kalamazoo for years and now live just south of Edwardsburg. I rebuilt a bunch of old storm panels in my 1920 era house up there. I'm also in the window industry. Shoot me a PM and I'll offer the best advice I can.

- Rob
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

You don't have much time left. Start by buying a matched set of router bits for sash windows.

Stanley had a set for their #45 combo plane....
    completed frame.JPG
    I used one of the cutters to make this frame, to set a plywood panel in, instead of glass, to make a top for a dresser....Cutters are indeed called..Sash cutters.

I've made many sash windows and I suggest taking Stanley's advice. Last month I had a job that ordered 21 windows. For fun I thought I'd make them by hand. After 6 I stopped. The remaining 15 took about as long as the first six when done by machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images