Thread: Delta 13" Planer(22-580) Dust Hood Troubles

Delta 13" Planer(22-580) Dust Hood Troubles

This sounds like a minor gripe, but when you've planed as much hard maple as I have recently, and you're constantly having to take off the dust hood, clear out the jammed chips and then continue(as, again, I have...grrrrr), you begin to get aggravated. I have had nothing but trouble with the Delta-supplied dust hood for my 22-580 jamming with chips and shavings. It's making me less than....ahem......."chipper"(groan, I know), these days.

Anyone else have a similar problem? If so, what did you do to clear it up?

I'd also be interested in other, shop-built solutions for this planer/problem. Anyone here constructed their own dust hood? Pics would be helpful, and appreciated, if possible. I don't think it's my DC. I have the Jet 650 and it pulls plenty of air, or seems to , anyway.

Thanks, and regards,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

I made my own with a vent duct from Lowe and trimming it with tin snips. I can't say it's the greatest because I have had them same problems you expressed with chips getting backed up. I assumed it was my dust collector (bottom of the line Delta Shopmaster). Any ideas to make it work? I was going to try buying the official Delta hood to see if it was any better.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 07-06-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I haven't worked with mine yet (still in the box!), however, I suspect that you both might need to go with stronger air movement - perhaps 1100 cfm minimum.
    Maurice

I haven't had any problems with mine - I've actually been quite impressed at how well it does take the chips away. I have it hooked up to my little dust collector via an overhead duct. With the exception of a few stray chips, it stays clean.

Maybe I haven't pushed it hard enough - most of the boards I have planed are 10" or under (most under) so there is plenty of airflow past the cutter head.

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.

Wes

>> Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.

How about telling us the power of your DC unit?

Russell & Ernie:

How much material are you planing off in one pass?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    Russell & Ernie:

How much material are you planing off in one pass?

.25" per pass, is that too much? Just kidding....I only take, at most, 1/16th, most timesd 1/32nd.

About the airflow, my DC is a Jet 650, and it does fine with every other machine in the shop. It is moved from machine to machine, and the only clogging I get is the planer. I think it's the hood.
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

It's my only complaint about the 580, the hood is designed with a max air flow of just over 200cfm. Generally speaking, the only time I have it plug is on boards over 8", I take 1/2 turn at a time.....I don't generally plabe a lot of wide boards so I haven't bothered with it too much, it's not your DC...

Andy

Hi Russell - Last summer I upgraded from a 22-560 with excellent DC to the 22-580 which has "good" DC. Since it's on the same DC system that the 560 was, it was easy to notice the difference. My chute doesn't clog often but it doesn't remove the chips as effectively as on the 560. I've sprayed the inside of the chute with silicone, but haven't done any real mods yet. I should probably seal off all the air leaks in my DC system!

Be sure not to get silicone anywhere that will contact the wood.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a 15" floor model planer. It was hooked up to a Jet 1100 but was last on the line. I constantly had clogging problems. The 1100 has a "Y" fitting at the machine to hook two 4" hoses to. I was only using one of them. The other was capped. I hooked the planer to the unused side of the "Y" and all clogging problems went away. I assume the 650 sucks and sucking. Dick B.

Hi Russell, I have the very same set up as you, I have no problem with build up. What kind of dust collection are you running? I have a 4 inch hose on a delta dust collector. What I do have only with maple, is alot of chips get throwed back over the intake table as you plane. Again, only with maple. Ihave used the planer ALOT, and have never had clogging with any type of wood.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Hi Russell,

I have the 22-580 and the HF DC. I have planed a lot of cherry, some pine and some oak and have not had any problems at all with clogging. There is a metal "flap" (technical term) that fits over the hood when installing it, any chance of misalignment with this part? Thats my only guess as to a setup issue.

Hope you get it figured out.

I have been using the same dust hood/planer combination with no problems at all. I hook it to my Delta 50-760 DC (1200CFM) and have never had a clog though early on we did take some heavy and wide bites just to see how the combination worked for my review of it.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

The large chips from the planer really need a two stage dust collector. Try using the trash can with the seperator top. It also makes cleaning out easier.

Richard