Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pull up a seat and help me with a seated workbench

Here is a bench with a seat built right in. It was on another forum and I generally like the bench so I saved the photo.

Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley sells a Sjoberg that might give you some ideas:

Capture.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Tony,

I am permanently disabled and confined to a wheelchair. I have had to design my entire workshop to be accessible. However, my workbench is an heirloom passed down to me from my late father-in-law. It is roughly standard height, but the base in inset from the edges which makes it easy for me to roll up to work. It is comfortable to do many things this way but, I am able to transfer to an adjustable height stool when I need to which makes it much easier for me to work when planing or assembling. I'd be happy to talk further about accessibility. Here is a pic of my bench:

Attachment 245930Attachment 245931
    That is a very sweet bench!!

You might want to take a look at my bench build. it has an open front because I intend on building a roll out tool chest which will also be my bench to sit on. The bench is ugly but very stiff and functional
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...x-Lumber-Bench
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    That is a very sweet bench!!
    Thanks Chris.

If you notice in the first photo, I have it against the wall but, I also have it mounted on a mobile base. There are 3 screws holding it solid against the wall (in addition to the brakes on the base) which make the whole thing rock solid. If I need the bench out away from the wall for a large project, all I have to do is remove the 3 screws, unlock the brakes, and the 300+lb bench can be moved with one hand. I used Rockler's All Terrain Mobile Base:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...7&site=ROCKLER
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Thanks Stew, I'm not constantly in a wheelchair but am when I'm too weak to stand. I have a disease similar to MS where my nerves are loosing their insulation. Some days are better than others. One of the draws of hand-tool woodworking (besides the fact I've always wanted to do it) is that I can leave it when I need to (for the most part) and pick it up when I get back. My main goal in design bench, shop, etc is to extend my ability to do the work.
    I started that way myself Tony so I know exactly how you feel. We're probably a lot alike, from a medical standpoint, I have a form of demyelinating neuropathy as well called Transverse Myelitis.

I go out and work when I feel up to it, and stop when I get too worn out. Actually, I was a contractor and always wanted to do woodworking. I just never had the time. Well, now I have plenty of time, even if I don't have the same capabilities as I used to have. Here is a big plus; woodworking is keeping me sane. I was going nuts laying around all the time. A couple years after I got sick, I finally started feeling good enough to want to do something (anything). So, since I already had most of the tools, I organized my garage, built some stands & cabinets, and here I am. These are some of the things I've built in the last 2 years:
    Lazy Susan 03.jpg100_1537.jpg2012 Loaine B-Day 02.jpgLoaine Deskset.jpgSally Horse 010.jpg100_1480.jpg100_1465.jpgBoth Stands 01.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty