Thread: Drill Press Pulley removal

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drill Press Pulley removal

My old-ish (1980's?) craftsman drill press that I bought used about 5 years ago has given me problems on and off with the pulley at the motor. The pulley doesn't stay tight on the motor shaft and therefore power doesn't transfer to the other pulleys and to the bit. I realized today after trying to get the pully off and try and really fix this issue instead of just tightening the set screw, that there isn't a key in in the pulley against the motor, and the set screw tightens directly against the shaft. So I'd like to remove the pulley and put in a key, hoping it will keep the pulley on tight. But I'm afraid that when the set screw loosens up and motor shafts spins inside the pulley, that it may have cut into the shaft keeping the pulley from being removed.

After removing the set screw, the pulley is loose and moves up and down about 1/8" and wobbles back and forth but it won't move any further up. Do I need to buy a bearing puller to get it off?

My DP is listed as a 17" 1.5hp (max develped - motor says 10A). There's a Grizzly G1200 DP listed for sale locally for $70, but it's only a 14" 1/2HP machine. I thought about simply replacing the DP, but I'd like to see if I could fix the c'man first.
    Attached Images Attached Images