Thread: Shaker style bookcase

Shaker style bookcase

P1120370.JPGP1120377.JPG

About 30"x30"x10" of poplar with top and bottom hand dovetailed to the sides. Adjustable shelves with Rockler sleeves and shelf pins. Back is shiplap with LV plow plane and scratch beading. Cove moulding done on the router table. Sized with 1/2 # cut of SealCoat shellac then dyed with Transtint Vintage Maple. Finish is Seal Coat shellac padded on then rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. The top also has several coats of Waterlox original sealer finish for additional protection on top of the shellac. The Waterlox will be rubbed out in a few weeks so it still looks too glossy in the pictures. The shelves are double thick on the front 1".

Many thanks for the advise I received about nailing the back boards on, sizing the poplar prior to dying, and repairing the varnished top. I ended up sanding the top back to bare wood and repeating the finishing schedule but with Waterlox as the top coat.

On a trial board, actually the bottom of one of the shelves, I used Minwax conditioner and stain. In the spirit of this forum I won't say anything bad about the Minwax conditioner. The picture speaks for itself. This is the lower shelf in the photo above. That is why I went with the Seal Coat for the sizing.
    P1120218.JPG

Critique and comments welcome. More pictures of the build at http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCXBqvi
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are a braver man than me!! I would never stain poplar. Thanks for posting!