Thread: 16" band saw - a decent upgrade from a 14"??

16" band saw - a decent upgrade from a 14"??

Okay, here's the deal. I would like to get a better band saw. I currently have a 14" closed base Jet which I have upgraded with a linkbelt and riser. I make mostly boxes, some of which are band saw boxes - so I need to be able to use a 3/16" blade. I was considering some of the 18" band saws (Jet and Rikon), but have noticed that their minimum blade size is 1/4". I'd like to use smaller than that for the tight curves I need to be able to do. So I am looking at the 16" Jet which gives me that capability. Resaw max height is 10" (my upgraded 14" will do almost 12"), but as I mentioned in another thread (as much as I conform to the "bigger is better" club) I don't see much demand in my small shop for more than 10". I do not have room in my tight quarters for 2 band saws, so keepiong the 14" for the curved work and buying an 18" for resawing is not an option. What I would like to know is if the 16" would be nice upgrade from the 14". I'd like a macbine that runs smoother, and is just a step up in quality from my 14". As I see it the 16" Jet would buy me a heavier machine (smoother running with less vibration?) and the ability to use significantly wider resaw blades.

Any opinions?

I own a Jet 16 and love it. The only thing I don't like is changing blades. It's just as easy to change as a 14, but I never liked changing them on it either. The 10" resaw works well for me, I haven't had the need for larger. I do like the Euro blade guides over the bearing type on the 18". We have a 20" at the store and keep having to replace the bearings on it. (This is probably because there are a nuimber of people using it who don't know how to take care of tools) I use a 3/4" blade for resaw and a 3/16" blade for most other things. I bought the Jet fence for it and like it as well. It has a large resaw bar that I really like when needed.

Glenn, Consider some of the Grizzly models, a lot of bang for the buck. There is a huge difference between the typical 14" models and some 16" saws. First is the power; most have 2 hp. or more. My Mimimax has 3 hp which makes resawing go very fast. With these bigger saws you get a much stiffer frame and more robust saw overall. I got my MM16 way before the recent price increase but now I'd be considering a Rikon or Grizzly or Bridgewood. But I feel these bigger saws really excell at resawing especially with the Euro guides. I do bandsaw boxes using 1/4" blade and it's no problem at all. Good luck.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard
    I own a Jet 16 and love it.
    Greg - Does the 16" Jet have a more sophisticated (better engineered) system for levelling the table than the 14"? Anything like a geared micro-adjuster? Can a blade quick-release be added to this saw?

Glen, the answer to your qustion, IMHO, is "it depends on the 16" saw you buy" whether or not it's truly an upgrade or just something a little bigger. If you also go better quality, heavier and more power (!), yea, you have a nice upgrade. That doesn't mean you have to go to a big-buck Euro saw (although I'd recommend you do that if you can), but to look at what you gain with the transaction. At the lower price end of the spectrum, I'd choose the Grizzly G0513, General International 17" or the Bridgewood 17" over the 18" Jet, especially the older version, no question. (I don't know anything about the new Jet version). The older Jet, despite some folks liking it, has had far too many negative reports over the years. Move up a little, the Laguna LT16 and Mini Max S16 would be the next stop...and the Mini Max MM16 or Laguna LT16-HD are truly upgrades. If you go to any of the bigger machines, consider keeping your smaller 14" saw for scrolling if you have room. Very convenient...I wish I could have done that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Glen, the answer to your qustion, IMHO, is "it depends on the 16" saw you buy" whether or not it's truly an upgrade or just something a little bigger. If you also go better quality, heavier and more power (!), yea, you have a nice upgrade. That doesn't mean you have to go to a big-buck Euro saw (although I'd recommend you do that if you can), but to look at what you gain with the transaction. At the lower price end of the spectrum, I'd choose the Grizzly G0513, General International 17" or the Bridgewood 17" over the 18" Jet, especially the older version, no question. (I don't know anything about the new Jet version). The older Jet, despite some folks liking it, has had far too many negative reports over the years. Move up a little, the Laguna LT16 and Mini Max S16 would be the next stop...and the Mini Max MM16 or Laguna LT16-HD are truly upgrades. If you go to any of the bigger machines, consider keeping your smaller 14" saw for scrolling if you have room. Very convenient...I wish I could have done that.
    I agree with jim, and especially having a nice 14" saw with a very narrow blade. Changing around the bigger saws for a variety of blade widths is sort of a pain. If you can spare the room, like jim said, keep the little guy.

lou

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    Greg - Does the 16" Jet have a more sophisticated (better engineered) system for levelling the table than the 14"? Anything like a geared micro-adjuster? Can a blade quick-release be added to this saw?
    Glen,

The trunion for leveling the table is the same, I'm not sure if you can add the quick release to it or not, it's something to check on.