Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular saw recommendation

Circular saw recommendation

Hi All, I'm looking for a light weight saw mainly for cutting 3/4" plywood. Does anybody have one they like that's decent quality? I already have one that I use for 2x wood but I find it's heavy after awhile. That's why I'm looking for something lighter. Thanks.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I have a PC mag model with electric brake and easy blade change. It has been a wonderful saw and the blade that came with it is very nice.

Good luck!!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

PC Mag...comes right blade or left. I like left blade.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Craftsman has a Craftsman Professional 5 1/2" circular saw (made by Bosch for Craftsman) that is lightweight, blade left, and perfect for ripping sheet goods down to size.

Wow, 3 responses and nobody had mentioned the Festool. The ATF55 is the ultimate saw for cutting sheet goods. And, yep, it's pretty light too.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    Wow, 3 responses and nobody had mentioned the Festool. The ATF55 is the ultimate saw for cutting sheet goods. And, yep, it's pretty light too.

Jay
    Dang...Jay beat me to it! Nothing better for this job, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jay
    Countin' Jim, this will be three in a row for Festool. Get it, and you will find alot more uses too. (But watch out. It's addictive!!)

Greg

Jay
    Ouch.... I'd have to win the lottery to afford that one

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Ouch.... I'd have to win the lottery to afford that one
    Well, remember, the price includes a very nice guiderail for cutting that plywood, as well as a superb blade.

Thanks guys.

I did think of Festool but it seems like overkill just to cut down sheet goods. I think I'd recut afterwards on my table saw anyway. Thank you for you ideas. Why do you need the Festool set up if you are going to clean up the cuts on the table saw? I need a really good reason to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    I did think of Festool but it seems like overkill just to cut down sheet goods. I think I'd recut afterwards on my table saw anyway. Thank you for you ideas. Why do you need the Festool set up if you are going to clean up the cuts on the table saw? I need a really good reason to go that route.
    Because there is no need to go back to the table saw after cutting with the Festool saw and guide. It saves time and gives you a perfect cut every time. Unless you have a sliding table saw, the GCSS is a God-send when it comes to dealing with sheet goods.

And BTW, I didn't believe it until I bought the stuff...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim on this one too. I never clean up GCSS cuts on my tablesaw. If the work will necessitate manhandling in any way, I use the Festool saw and a rail. Your chance of spoiling an edge is far greater on the tablesaw unless you have a slider.

Greg

Hi Jim, Can you cut parts to, say a book case, and keep the edges parallel? I seem to remember from previous discussions that this was a little tricky. Of course on a TS it's no problem. I have thought in the past that instead of upgrading to a cabinet saw some day I would instead get a Festool set up. What do you think about that?

Alan,

I would go with Jim on the Festool, and so far as the parallel problem, I think that can be easily taken care of with a simple jig. I haven't made one up yet, however if you have ever seen a parallel ruler used in small boat navigation I think the principle can be easily adapted using some lightweight angle, either steel or possibily aluminum. I wouldn't replace my TS, but for field building cabinets you can do some remarkable work with the Festool system.

Alan,

I think the Festool system is complimentary to a table saw. Your question was about a good saw for sheet goods and I am sure this was because knocking down sheet goods on a tablesaw is a pain for you, just like it is most of us. If you want to expand the question, as Jim actually in his responses, to "Could I also replace my TS?" then the Festool system would make even more sense. None of us Festoolies would recommend that you should get rid of your TS. We are just saying you will get alot more out of the Festool than a sheet goods knockdown tool.

This was my experience. Not knowing how badly this woodworking bug would bite me, I bought a tabletop saw, a Bosch 4000, not a bad tool, but no Unisaw either. I soon leaned of its many limitations, but since I bought the Festool GCSS, it is not such a big deal. I will own a bandsaw and other necessary stationary machines before I ever upgrade to a better TS. Why? Because the Festool system gives me the luxury to achieve great, straight cuts without making the investment in a better tablesaw. The cuts are better. You would not want to re-cut them on the TS. Let's put it another way. What would I rather have, a very good cab saw only or a Festool system and a reasonably good table top saw? I'll take what I have. I would only consider a slider as better (maybe) and that would cost far more.

Greg