Thread: Cheapest source for 6" PVC fittings?

Cheapest source for 6" PVC fittings?

I couldn't find a recent thread with good sources for 6" PVC fittings, and it seems like the price of PVC has gone up dramatically in the past couple of years. The cheapest I can find for the 6" S&D PVC fittings I need for my dust collection ducting is $18 for a Wye, $9 for a 45 degree elbow, and $5 for a coupling. Are people finding cheaper prices anywhere else or is that pretty standard?

I paid about $14.50 for a 6" Y and $8.50 for a 6" 45 about 2.5 years ago. Shipping added another 20%. They are now charging $19.35 for a 6" Y. Your prices don't seem too outrageous.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Those prices seem about right and have been for a couple of years at least. I do search around quite a bit as I find some fittings cheaper at one place and other fittings at another. If the total cost is less I buy from 2 or 3 places.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hey Brad,

If it's any consolation, here in Anchorage you'd add +10 for the 45's and couplings and +$20 for the Wye. The 6" SD-35 is $58.50/10 foot stick. I picked up a variety of pieces for a "starter kit" that I estimate to be 50% to 70% of what I'll end up needing and it cost me $770.

Dust collection systems are a bit like lathes... The main tool (dust collector) is a surprisingly small piece of the overall system cost. :-/

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I got metal 26 ga duct at my local HVAC dealer for better prices then what the PVC would have cost and I am also using some 8’’. You may want to check in to it.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I second Richard's comment. I am in the process of replacing my 4" with 6", and after an exhausting search, I found that metal ducting from an HVAC shop was way cheaper. $8 for a wye vs $19, $4 for 45's vs. $9, etc. Not to mention the price of the pipe. 6" PVC drainage pipe was difficult to find locally, so I would have been forced to use schedule 40 PVC, which is very pricey in the 6" size.
    Clark Harbaugh

One consideration, for some, is that the PVC will be quieter due to the non-metallic nature and sound deadening nature of PVC.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Ditto on the HVAC supplier. I also got spiral pipe there at a very reasonable cost.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    As in plumbing, if you need quiet, go with cast iron. You might want some help in installation though.

In reality, the noise from the cyclone will pretty much negate any differences in noise between the materials, if there really is any difference. This is the first time I recall a difference in noise levels ever being brought up. I think you would need some lab grade sound measuring instruments to detect a difference, but I could be wrong.

I suppose you could spend more on your collection system than the cyclone, but only if you have a very inexpensive or used cyclone and a rather large shop. I spent $1600 on my cyclone and around $500 on the collection system including 6 drops. Pipe sizes ranging from 3" (top collector on TS) to 7" main run using 26 ga snap lock steel.

I was on the PVC bandwagon based upon the recommendations from Bill Pentz's and Clearvue's sites, but I may rethink using 26 gauge snap lock based on the price differential alone. Thanks for all the responses

Blog Entries
    Has anyone installed steel and wish they had gone with PVC or installed PVC wishing they had gone with steel? Most of us tend to justify how we went, but maybe someone has used both or is dissatisfied with what they have for ductwork and could lend a more unbiased opinion. Just trying to help Brad along with his decision.

Yeah, those are pretty good prices. When I bought mine 6 years ago, McMaster-Carr had the best prices I could find. Just looked and they are all higher than what you show. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have the same problem with the high prices for 6" PVC fittings. I was cruising Urban Ore, across the street from McBeath Hardwood in Berkeley, CA, and found a few 6" fittings (Ys, Couplings, 45s) and other 4" PVC fittings. Urban Ore is a huge recycler of construction materials, doors, cabinets, etc. I bought a bunch of lightly used fittings for $8. Kind of a twofer, Hardwood at McBeath and the unexpected find of fittings at Urban Ore. You might have a similar recycler near you. I check Urban Ore each time I'm at McBeath.