Thread: Dang nail!!!

Dang nail!!!

When cutting up the large tree I posted look what my saw found and even cut into. Had to use my husky 61 to finish up after hitting this with my 372xp. Yard trees are always a risk but worth it. The dime gives you a reference to the size of this nail. You can see at the bottom of the nail where it was cut through.
    Jack

I hate it when that happens.

3. I feel your pain Jack........a couple of years ago, I was called to help cut up a large catalpa tree at a friends cabin.......cut into a barn spike we were almost finished and already had most of the tree cut up.....that event ended the day! I had to do some major sharpening to get that chain where it would cut again.....probably lost 1/2 of its life cycle on that one spike!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Uggh! Around here those are called "sawmiller's delights". Hard to find a local sawmill who will even touch a tree removed from someone's yard.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Had a old farmer cut down a maple tree in his yard. While cutting it up I ran into a bunch of barb wire that the tree had grown around. Not visiable from the outside. That puts a stop to things quick.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That dime is about the size of a dime!! Oh...look at that nail...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Looks like it was almost as much fun as cutting up a rootball full of rocks.

Better that you found it with the chainsaw than a gouge. (Don't ask me how I know that lol)

can you heat the nail quick enough to pull it out easily with out breaking the nail

I plan on taken the nail out just to keep as a reminder of what yard trees have to offer. I got one a few years ago that was next to gravel road and hit many pieces of gravel that had grown into the tree over the years.
    Jack

At least you didn't put the nail there yourself, forget about it, and then years later, cut into it, cut it with the bandsaw, and then hit it with a gouge before realizing what was in the tree... I know someone who did that once.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

A friend came by with a nice piece of wood asking to take a 1/2 inch off the side. Gladly I did and hit a hidden nail. We both saw sparks. Broken teeth on the blade. My friend says sorry... thanks me a leaves. I guess... who wants to pay $60 for 1 cut. ME!

So many people don't understand the costs of saw blades and planner blades, sandpaper, drill bits, router bits, welding wire and gas, screws, nails, scraps of hard wood, I could go on.
    Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have another sip of beer....... I love it when my friends drop by. It's worth it! Just don't tell the wife!

I feel your pain. I just cut down 10 trees for my in-laws (11 if you count the one my bro-in-law pushed over with the Bobcat). I was working on tree #9, which was the second part of a forked tree that was the end of an old fence line. To make access to that one easier, I went to cut a notch in the first part of the fork. I could see where the top line of barbed wire went into the tree, so I was staying a few inches above it (I had already cut that tree down by cutting it quite high). I felt something hard, just as my BIL drove over in the Bobcat--he started yelling at me. Apparently, I was throwing sparks. A quick glance at my chain, and I thought I had just rounded some teeth, so I put the saw down. Later, on closer inspection, I realized I had chipped several teeth and bent a few outwards. Not going to even attempt to save that chain...time to order another.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore