Thread: Caliper search for small mouth hollow form

Caliper search for small mouth hollow form

I'm looking to make or buy a caliper for checking wall thickness on a hollow form with an opening of less than 5/8".I know Fennell has one, but it is for the area just under the opening.I would like one that feels the whole way down.I saw Ellsworth uses spring steel that he bends to his desired thickness and feels with that..I would like to know what else is out there that has worked well for you besides laser and fiber-optic. Thanks Rob

Robert, a standard double ended caliper (looks like the number 8 when closed) will work good for that.

You can also do the home made route and bend a circle of a heavy wire until the ends touch, then spread them apart a measurable amount (say 1" or 1 1/2"). Then when inserted into the form and the inside tip of the wire is touching the inside wall, measure the distance between the outside wire tip and the outside of the HF wall. Subtract that off the distance you spread the wire apart and you have the current wall thickness.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have this version and it does work well: inside/outside caliper
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have the same ones Steve linked to, but am craving the figure 8 calipers. I think I would like them better for some reason.

Here is a picture of those.

caliper.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I made several sets of my own design. They work real well for me. I will take a picture later today and post it for you.
    faust

These ones are pretty pricey but are the best I have found for measuring wall thickness in restricted access situations: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...330,49237&ap=1

I have the figure 8 ones as well and they are fine for open forms but the curve on both legs means they cannot get into tight areas through a small hole.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hamilton; 11-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.

The bent wire trick works the best. If the one you have won't reach where you want, it takes only a few minutes to make one that will. Getting in a 5/8" opening in a vessel that has a strong shoulder almost requires a bent wire measuring method.

I have never found calipers that work as well as the Ellsworth designed bent wire, and the price is right! I took a class with Ellsworth in 1990 and have been making and using these in all sizes for hollowing since that time. For the miniatures I used to make, the calipers are made from paperclips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 11-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.

And a quick use of the search function brings us...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...pers-home-made
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

These are the gauges I made for myself. I use the smallest from the edge of the hole to 1/2" in. Then I move to he next until it no longer reaches and so forth. By the time I am done with the largest I can reach with an 8 shaped caliper or my Kelton Gauge. You know you have to spend the big bucks for good tools. I probably have over $3.00 tied up in these. The ones on the left are 1/8" brazing rod. You insert the #7 shaped piece into the form and slide the other piece into your hand with the straight parts as shown. Make sure both pieces are oriented the same way. The difference in lengths at the bottom of the gauge is the thickness of the form. If you notice the little file marks on each guage, that is how how I make sure both parts of the gauge are in line.
    Easy Peasy.
    faust
    Attached Images Attached Images

003.jpg004.jpg001.jpg002.jpg005.jpg

These are the ones I posted about 18 months ago that Jim B just reposted. I didn't design them I got a pencil drawing from a book I got from a turner who past away. I then made my first set from 1/8" Baltic birch plywood these are sheet metal. I hope this explains everything. It is done on 1/4"sq graph paper.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 11-28-2012 at 3:12 PM.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Robert
    Now that my other ones are posted. for what your doing I use the same ones Bob H. posted mine are from Veritas I have the large cause I do allot of bigger work but am getting set to order the smaller set.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.