Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Dust Extractor -- Comments?

Festool Dust Extractor -- Comments?

I just received a Festool ROS and now, of course, I need the "dust extractor" (better known as a vacuum) to go with it. I have a very small shop so I was considering the Mini. This will replace a Fein shop vac that I've had for years. Does anyone have any comments on the Festool itself and, specifically, the mini version? Thanks.

Hi Ellen,

I use my Fein turbo II with my Festool stuff. There is no reason other than if you want or need a new vacuum to switch to the Festool. Fein makes a step adaptor that sells for about $5 that makes everything fit perfectly.

I have the mini for two years now and it has worked flawlessly. I use it exclusively with my ETS-150 and FTS-125 sanders. I really cant see any need for the larger model. I guess if you use it on jobsites for a track saw or large router you might feel a need for a larger capacity, but dedicated for sanding in a home shop environment it is plenty big enough. I'm pretty sure that if I were to purchase a Domino in the future it would handle that as well.
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 11-28-2012 at 12:08 PM.

I'm up to 3 CT22's. One stays in the house and my wife recently said "I really like this vacuum!" One is dedicated to a Kapex and the last is my main one for general use.

The current mini is the same CFM as the bigger vacs.

Used CT22s can be had for $2-300.

If you have a Fein that is new enough to have autostart and variable speed, I see no reason to change vacuum.

The adapter for the Fein is a joke for most uses. Probably OK on a stationary tool but horrible on a sander. Just buy a Festool 452879 27mm non-static hose for $80 or a Bosch VAC005 35mm hose for $30. The Festool hose is nicer and is more suited to a sander. If you buy the Bosch, I would buy an extra tool end as they are not as nice a material and won't last as long. They are both 5 meters long like the Fein Hose.

I've had the CT36 now for about a year and have had no trouble with it. Its first vac I have had with the auto off/on and variable speed and it is really nice. The smaller vac would probably be much better for sanding. I have to run this vac almost at minimum when sanding. I bought it in anticipation for needing the extra capacity in the future. I haven't used mine for general shop clean up as the bags are expensive. I still have an old shop-vac and broom for that. I'm not sure how/if the boom arm (right term?) attaches to the small vac. Without knowing much about it, I would suspec that the larger vac would be more stable. There may be some accessories with the larger ones that are not available for the small ones, not sure.

Mike

Seems like the Mini which has a smaller collection bag would clog faster when sanding. It also doesn't seem to have a HEPA filter that the CT26 and larger come with.

The Fein is a fine machine if it's working well and as others stated, you can use it with your Festool tools by just acquiring the hose. Relative to the Mini, it would work, but the next step up would be more efficient, IMHO. In that respect I agree with Peter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure if it fits on the CT Mini but this works well for the larger vacs if you're doing a lot of sanding: http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...m_no=AXD000009

Onieda also has a similar but less fancy setup for the Fein vac. Def saves the life of your dust bags.

I can't see spending an additional $200 on top of an already very expensive festool vac just so I don't have to empty the bag so often.

I have a CT26 with the HEPA filter and could not be happier. I use it mainly with a Festool sander and their is almost no dust escaping. It is expensive but saves on the lungs. I also like the fact that it is so quiet.

12. Hello, Shane Holland with Festool USA here. All of our dust extractors have the same specifications, with the exception of capacity. All have the same 137CFM motor, standard Full Unit HEPA certified with HEPA filter, and same features.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-29-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Removed promotional language

I have the MIDI, and use it for dust collection when sanding.

Diann also takes it from the shop and uses it in the house...................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Holland View Post
    Hello, Shane Holland with Festool USA here. All of our dust extractors have the same specifications, with the exception of capacity. All have the same 137CFM motor, standard Full Unit HEPA certified with HEPA filter, and same features.
    Thanks Shane. It's valuable to know that all the dust extractors have HEPA capabilities. That would have been the only reason to move up from the mini or midi.

Thanks for the clarification, Shane!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...