Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: maple rocking chair

Hi Josh!
    Thanks for the positive comment. I use 8/4 lumber. And I think there is about 45 board feet in this chair. This is the first chair of this design. So being aware of that, it took me over 300 hours to make. That said, I made a cutting mistake on one of the back legs and had to remake the whole leg. Which means, cutting all the lams, steaming them, and reglueing. I think my second attempt would reduce the time by a good amount. I think I did my first bent-lam in about 1999. I have been a hobbyist woodworker since the early 80's. I really don't have a lot of time to spend on woodworking. So I fit it in when I can.
    Can you let me know what it is about this chair that you like and don't like? I get lots of comments, but no one elaborates on them. Thanks for the interest. Pete
    Last edited by Pete Lamberty; 02-22-2013 at 6:20 PM.
    Pete Lamberty

2. It's the fact that I've never seen anything like it. Sure, we've all seen rockers but I have yet to see one that appears to be moving forward at about 160mph. Almost makes you nervous to sit in it. Like it's pulled back in a sling shot and as soon as you sit, the thing's gonna take off. Sure, it's not a perfect fit for every setting, but I really like it. One thing I wonder is how it would look if the back slats were thinner. By like half of what they are. I think it may add contrast to the stoutness of the rest of the frame. Just my $.02
    Last edited by Josh Pelletier; 02-22-2013 at 8:04 PM.
    Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
    -Ron Swanson

Very cool chair, it looks awesome!