Thread: Thingy? Stemware? Or???

Thingy? Stemware? Or???

Greetings again.

Sorry, not sure what this should be called?

Here are a couple of shots of a recent piece made from pretty badly rotten, spalted Maple with a dyed black maple stem.

It has 24 coats of rattle can lacquer sanded between coats 1000. The stem was finished on the lathe but was also sprayed at the same time.
    DSC_7294.jpgDSC_7297.jpg
    as usual, thanks for looking and C & C welcome or actually requested . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Beautiful love the color in the cup Great piece.

That is a very nice piece. I really like the base stem.

Beautiful! Is that just one coat of one color or did you mix colors? It has a very dramatic and good look to it.

AWESOME! Love the color!

That's amazing Peter!!! Something about the foot...maybe flatter, maybe wider...something. Form, stem, color and finish is just crazy good!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

HI Bill. I wet the item with water first then using transtint dyes with in water. On this piece after I wet it I used blue on the whole thing, sanded and then re-dyed blue, sanded and then used purple on only the top 1/4. Lightly sanded with 400 and then removed from the lathe and finished.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Peter,
    I'm curious about dyeing blue, sanding and re-dying blue. I'm assuming that you sanded the first time because the application raised the grain. Is that correct, or am I missing something. I really like the color. The rim treatment is unusual.

Beautiful goblet and really like the color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The colors and finish look great Peter. Maybe slight curves on the stem rather than straight lines and a little more gradual curve(not quite so abrubt change of direction near the lip)on the top.

Love the color and finish, Peter. This isn't my forte - I've never even tried something like this, so take it for what it's worth - but I'd go for a wider lighter (thinner) look on the base and, necessarily, a longer radius on the cove that transitions from the stem to the base. I was going to say a longer radius on the cove under the cup to follow the line of the cup, but I looked again and like what you've done.

It's a beautiful piece.

Eric. I find that by sanding between coats I can alter/adjust and blend the colours and at the same time it seems to help bringing out highlights.
    Pete

Here's the second of this series. It is the last of this semi-rotten spalted maple.

Hope you like it.

I tried to take into account the constructive comments from the prior piece.

DSC_7315.jpgDSC_7316.jpg

As usual thanks for looking, C & C welcome
    Pete

14. Pete,

The second piece is much better, you learn fast and made some nice improvements, I like the color of this one better too.