Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Delta Super 990 Radial Arm Saw

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904

    Delta Super 990 Radial Arm Saw

    I have a chance to buy this Delta Super 990 10" Radial Arm Saw for $125. Seller says it's all in good working order. Looking for advice from folks here with more knowledge, what specifics should I be concerned with and checking before buying?

    FYI will be used mostly for crosscutting longer boards and a dado station.

    . Delta Super 990.jpeg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    322
    Check for play in the carriage as it travels on the arm, if there is any, it can be adjusted out. Pay attention if there is more play close to the fence, this means the saw was "short stroked" alot, its a bad thing and requires re-machining of the arm, probably be a deal breaker right there. Its not something I've ever found, my Super 900 was used daily in a commericial shop, the arm is still perfect.

    Plan on new bearings in the motor, over time the grease dries up. After replacing the bearings in mine, you can't hear the motor run if theres no blade on it.

    Last, don't plan on picking it up yourself, lots of cast iron on those saws, its heavier than it looks.

    Ed <-----would already have it home if it was closer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Thanks Ed. The seller told me that there was no slop at all in the carriage, which is encouraging, but will be sure to check. And after putting a DJ-20 into a trailer and out to my shop I've learned my lesson on moving machinery.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,287
    Check/post on OWWM. There are probably several folks who have torn it down and completely rebuilt one just like it.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Check/post on OWWM. There are probably several folks who have torn it down and completely rebuilt one just like it.
    Thanks, there is.

  6. #6
    It's four hours after your original post, and you haven't posted "gloat pictures?" What's wrong. When I bought mine a couple years ago, I hauled mine home in the back seat of my Honda Civic.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    It's four hours after your original post, and you haven't posted "gloat pictures?" What's wrong. When I bought mine a couple years ago, I hauled mine home in the back seat of my Honda Civic.
    Mine's in the back of my Subaru Forester waiting to be taken to my shop, which is at my lake home in northern Wisconsin, today. Shooting pictures through the car windows seemed pointless, but I will take some when I get it out into my shop. For now the photo I posted from the craigslist ad will have to suffice.

    Saw is really good condition. Nothing missing. Even has the Rockwell badge on it still. Only defect I can see is that it needs a new cord. Motor is very quiet, and no play in the carriage. Some minor surface rust. I'm debating tearing it down and refurbishing it cosmetically... sandblast, prime, and paint. Damn that OWWM website!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    PALM BAY FL
    Posts
    497
    If the motor works, you stole it for that money. Aside from the usual, check the brake, a manual one I believe, to make sure it works. Some claim to have better performance wired for 220 operation, but in my estimation it isn't necessary if run on a contemporary 120 circuit properly wired. All Delta turret models are excellent machines, and although I restore DeWalts, you may find the following links helpful in your project:

    Blade Alignment
    Bearing Rehab

    And finally, a rebuild story in case you need inspiration just when things look their darkest:
    Sweethearts

    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.
    Last edited by HANK METZ; 11-30-2012 at 8:25 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK METZ View Post
    If the motor works, you stole it for that money. Aside from the usual, check the brake, a manual one I believe, to make sure it works. Some claim to have better performance wired for 220 operation, but in my estimation it isn't necessary if run on a contemporary 120 circuit properly wired. All Delta turret models are excellent machines, and although I restore DeWalts, you may find the following links helpful in your project:

    Blade Alignment
    Bearing Rehab

    And finally, a rebuild story in case you need inspiration just when things look their darkest:
    Sweethearts

    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.
    Thanks Hank. All will be useful. The brake works too.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Hartland of Michigan
    Posts
    5,578
    Even though there are differences in the saws, such as the turret arm, The "Mr Sawdust book by Wally Kunkle" is an excellent book on the DeWalt saws.
    I have a DeWalt MBF and just bought a Delta 900. For $125, you got a good deal.

    If the carriage rollers are stiff, you may have trouble replacing them. In that case, removing a shield and re-greasing them might be in order.
    A pointed dowel in a drill press is a good way to get them freed up. Hold the bearing and press the inner race up against the slow turning dowel to get them spinning.
    Just like the video Hank referred to.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, combine a sleeping pill, and laxative on the same night.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Well, I promised pictures of the Super 990 but haven't had a chance to take them, but here are some from my latest craigslist find. A DeWalt GP in great condition. $100. Has a new blade on it. 2HP, single phase. It's broken down now (had to to fit it in my car) but these were from the ad.

    GP 1.jpggp 2.jpggp 3.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Battle Ground, WA.
    Posts
    543
    George
    You are going to love that GP. Two RAS In your shop, way to go Tom

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    George
    You are going to love that GP. Two RAS In your shop, way to go Tom
    The GP is a beast. The PO was a farmer. He had it broken down and loaded it right into my car with a forklift.

  14. #14
    My prediction for 2013: Radio arm saws will come back into style.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Chavez, New Mexico
    Posts
    612
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    My prediction for 2013: Radio arm saws will come back into style.
    Sort of interesting. 2 RAS threads at once and all very positive. A year ago I remember similar threads filled with predictions of hands and arms cut off-- certain disaster if you used one and implying those who did were some sort of eccentric nuts!
    Of course my shop has a Dewalt and now an almost restored 14 inch 1953 Delta RAS so I guess I ignored the implications. (Or maybe we all revel in them!). Long live the old iron RAS's!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •