Thread: Anyone make desks or bookshelves with hidden compartments?

Anyone make desks or bookshelves with hidden compartments?

I just stumpled on this you tube video of what looks like a simple and clever idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featurl...&v=m1Qoz3FdRzM

It looks pretty straight forward and adds just a few extra hardware items.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Activated link

Haven't yet, but I'm in the process of building a table and a chest of my own design. Both of them will contain a hidden compartment. No extra hardware necessary. The table is going to my son and I'm *not* telling him where the hidden compartment is. It'll be up to him to come upon it someday.

I like it!
    I did build a desk for my Wife that has several hidden compartments. Take a look at the recent issue of Fine Woodworking, back cover. You will be surprised by the number of compartments in the cabinet.
    Good Luck
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

you know, and this is sad to say, coolness factor aside, a hidden compartment is an excellent place to put things like money and jewelry that thieves won't find should they enter your house. Even better than lock boxes.

The secretary desk I posted about in the Mitred Dovetail thread was unusual in the number and cleverness of its secret compartments. The shop owner did all of his own buying for the store ,was pretty sharp about looking for them ,and had not noticed them.