Thread: Portable Inkle Loom & Hello All

Portable Inkle Loom & Hello All

Hello everyone,

Let me start out with a big thank you to everyone and all the information I found while lurking around here that helped at certain points building this project. I'd specifically like to thank Joe Aliperti and and the other people on his thread in the project finishing section concerning his red oak entertainment center. This is the first time I've worked with hardwood or had to deal with any finishing more involved than painting a shed so the pictures along with how he did it helped a lot.

This is my second real project, the first being some hide-a-pantry shelving made out of white wood from the big box store. (I don't count the times I've helped friends build decks, sheds, etc.) I went with Red Oak for its durability and because it was the best looking at our local hardware store. The dowels are just whatever wood held in with screws for now until I can make it across town to a yard that sells hardwood dowels, then I'll glue and screw them square. There are several mistakes in it, but I'm happy with it overall because there where also several firsts and a lack of proper tools. I did learn that when working with Red Oak your tools really need to be razor sharp and mine most definitely are not. You can do it but with less precision and it takes ALOT longer.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to share it with everyone here because the people here are the reason it looks as good as it does.

Thanks

2012-12-03 13.59.43.jpg2012-12-03 14.00.41.jpg2012-12-03 14.00.09.jpg2012-12-03 14.01.36.jpg

Welcome to SMC, nice work. But what is inkle loom?

Ed.

Thank you!

It is used to make woven belts/straps, I can't really give a better explanation than that. My wife showed me the plan she found online and asked me if I could build it. I plan on adding a picture of it in action, but that probably won't be for at least a week.