Thread: Stanley Bailey with a Sandusky plane iron?

Stanley Bailey with a Sandusky plane iron?

I picked up a clean Stanley Bailey #4 this weekend and got to working on it last night. I discovered quickly that the knife was thicker than I've seen and did not advance through the slot when I adjust the knob. After cleaning off the grime I can see the blade is stamped "Sandusky OH." I tried putting the blade from my Sargent into the Stanley and it works great. Being new to this, I'm guessing that someone replaced the blade with one that doesn't exactly fit?

Sounds to me like a forced marrage

3. getting a bailey pattern plane to accept a thick tapered blade is an adventure. you'll need to move the frog, open the mouth and make a longer chipbreaker if you want to set it close.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Puryear View Post
    I picked up a clean Stanley Bailey #4 this weekend and got to working on it last night. I discovered quickly that the knife was thicker than I've seen and did not advance through the slot when I adjust the knob. After cleaning off the grime I can see the blade is stamped "Sandusky OH." I tried putting the blade from my Sargent into the Stanley and it works great. Being new to this, I'm guessing that someone replaced the blade with one that doesn't exactly fit?