Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT16 bandsaw or Grizzly GO55 ?

Laguna LT16 bandsaw or Grizzly GO55 ?

Laguna is 16", 3hp, 12" resaw.
    Grizzly is 21", 3hp, 14" resaw.

Will be used almost exclusivly for cutting green bowl blanks. About 200 per week.

Both will end up costing about the same, after delivery.

What do ya'll think?

Hi DeeDee, I like the Laguna LT16HD with the Baldor motor. I don't think you'll miss that two less inches of resaw.
    take care,
    John

Deedee,
    I don't have any experience with the Grizzley machine, but I've had the Laguna LT16 )with the Baldor motor) for about a year and a half now, and really like it. It's a rock solid, very well built machine. When I bought mine the Baldor motor was an option, but I believe it's 'standard' now.

Hey folks, I may be mistaken, but if you're referring to the LT16 HD, I believe it now has a larger Baldor motor, as well as a 16" resaw capacity! If you're looking at the LT, then your specs are correct. However, if that is indeed the case, I think I would still go with the Laguna, with the reasoning being that the Baldor motor is of known high quality. (You probably want to check w/Laguna to be sure that it does indeed ship with a Baldor. I know the HD model does.) I agree with John R., in that you wouldn't miss that little in capacity, especially for something like turning blanks. Just MHO....
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 04-25-2005 at 9:03 AM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dee Dee, between those two saws, the Laguna wins hands down! They are a machine of a higher class than the grizzly. I am sure that you would be much happier with the Laguna than with the Grizzly.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

What about the Mini Max S16 if you are considering the low-end Laguna?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's 40 a day! Wet Wood! Honestly, I don't think either of those machines will handle that kind of abuse, especially if you are pushing the resaw height limit. If this is a business, and it sounds like it might be, you should probably consider something much larger with a three phase motor, say 28" or larger, 6-8 HP. The larger flywheels here would be the key, with all that extra inertia. Even the Laguna HD Series, the Tannewitz Power Series or the MMs would be pushed, until you get into their respective 3 phase, larger flywheel machines. And, no matter what you do, have a good supply of blades and keep them coming

I think you would be fine with the LT16HD. For the kind of production you are looking at I would go for the Baldor.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I agree with Sam---that is some very serious cutting and you will need a BIGGER saw
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I'm a MM fan with Languna being a good second choice, BUT, 16" bandsaws are not recomended for carbide blades,(to tight a dia.) so now we need to determine if you have a need for carbide blades or not. I think you should consider the MM 20.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 10-18-2005 at 8:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I'm a MM fan with Languna being a good second choice, BUT, 16" bandsaws are not recomended for carbide blades,(to tight a dia.) so now we need to determine if you have a need for carbide blades or not. I think you should consider the MM 20.

Richard
    looks like someone is building a tall case clock - ( in the back left side of the picture )

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    looks like someone is building a tall case clock - ( in the back left side of the picture )

lou
    Good catch, lou.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    What about the Mini Max S16 if you are considering the low-end Laguna?
    The S16 is $1,700 vs the Laguna at $1,400.
    The S16 has 2.5hp vs the Laguna at 3hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco
    That's 40 a day! Wet Wood! Honestly, I don't think either of those machines will handle that kind of abuse, especially if you are pushing the resaw height limit. If this is a business, and it sounds like it might be, you should probably consider something much larger with a three phase motor, say 28" or larger, 6-8 HP. The larger flywheels here would be the key, with all that extra inertia. Even the Laguna HD Series, the Tannewitz Power Series or the MMs would be pushed, until you get into their respective 3 phase, larger flywheel machines. And, no matter what you do, have a good supply of blades and keep them coming
    Sorry Sam, I don't agree. I've been doing it currently with a MM24 with 5hp, and it handles it like butter. More than enuf power. And the Lenox blades go forever. But, the MM24 needs to move on to other tasks....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    I agree with Sam---that is some very serious cutting and you will need a BIGGER saw
    I don't agree with Sam, in that 3 phase isn't needed. However, I do worry that these two saws I propose, may be too small, as you suggest. I've been thinking about this over and over the last 3 days, so now I'm kinda leaning towards the Grizzly G3619, for $2,500. Comes in at 5hp. Appears to be one monster of a saw.

I'll go compare it to what Minimax and Laguna offer in that price range, and see how things look.