Thread: table top finish

table top finish

What finish would you recommend for a kitchen table top that has had an oil base stain?

Thanks

Behlen's Rockhard Tabletop Varnish. It takes a while to cure, so do it in a dustfree area.

+ to Joe's suggestion. Waterlox could be another choice.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

I use water based poly exclusively as i hate to clean my spray system after an oil based finish plus it dries so fast that I rarely have dust inclusions. You could top your oil based stain with a coat of shellac and be good to go for any kind of topcoat.

Just make sure it's a wax-free shellac in case you're going to use a polyurethane topcoat over it.

4 coats of GF Arm-r-seal satin or semi gloss applied with a foam brush. 600 grit between coats. You will be very pleased.

Jerry
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Any good pre-cat lacquer will be very tough and long lasting. I prefer water based. Use a dewaxed shellac under it, as Erik and Joe suggested.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Any good pre-cat lacquer will be very tough and long lasting. I prefer water based. Use a dewaxed shellac under it, as Erik and Joe suggested.

Mike
    Maybe precat has gotten better, but stuff I used 18 years ago has failed. My kitchen cabinets have finish failure around the dishwasher, sink base, and around the stove. My dining room table needs a complete refinish. My rookie employee sprayed too thickly on my dining chairs, and that is full of cracks in the finish. I hate that stuff. I also vote for General Finishes.

Precat has come a long way.. like most of us!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!