Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asian night stands

outstanding !! I love them, and will steal your design (or modify it!) soon !! BEAUTIFUL !!!! great job
    MARK

great design!! I especially like the tops of the legs, very nice touch. I really enjoy every aspect of this project, even the photography!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Absolutely outstanding!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks again for your kind words.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away from the computer.

Damon, I'm flattered by your recommendation. I would certainly be honored to be included in a show like that. I just know nothing about entering. From the link you sent, I couldn't find any information on showpiece pieces.

Kent, I don't have any pictures with the top off. Here are a couple sketchup graphics of the substructure. It includes an inner web frame which helps stiffen the overall carcass and a lift frame which sits on the web frame. The top sits on the lift frame. The web frame is half lapped and let into dadoes in the aprons. The web frame also helps guide the drawer, which actually runs in dadoes in the top of the top rails of the inner box.web over lift.jpgbed table layers.jpg

These drawings are from a slightly earlier version, with different floating tenons and leg tops.

Thanks for looking,

Nelson

Super design - love it! (saved pics for reference)

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    Thanks again for your kind words.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away from the computer.

Damon, I'm flattered by your recommendation. I would certainly be honored to be included in a show like that. I just know nothing about entering. From the link you sent, I couldn't find any information on showpiece pieces.

Kent, I don't have any pictures with the top off. Here are a couple sketchup graphics of the substructure. It includes an inner web frame which helps stiffen the overall carcass and a lift frame which sits on the web frame. The top sits on the lift frame. The web frame is half lapped and let into dadoes in the aprons. The web frame also helps guide the drawer, which actually runs in dadoes in the top of the top rails of the inner box.web over lift.jpgbed table layers.jpg

These drawings are from a slightly earlier version, with different floating tenons and leg tops.

Thanks for looking,

Nelson
    A-HAAAAA!!!

Very slick. The "hook" in the design is the missing web in the front.........from that perspective, it is open - no structural members at all to impede the view. Got it - Like it.

I recently did my first floating top tables, and also used a similar scheme to get the tops' supporting rails to stand back from the table rails and disappear. But your nightstands take that one step farther.

I'm going to remember this, and someday I will hopefully be able to put it to use.

thanks

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I absolutely love this piece. You have obviously put a lot of thought into every aspect of this design. I really like the way you've shaped the tops of the legs, with the "point" lining up with the corner of the top. There is only on tiny question - in your drawing you show shaped tenons, but you didn't go with that in the end. Is there a reason for this choice other than aesthetic? To my eye the round tenons look a bit like dominos and the shape might have added some more interest. Just a thought from the peanut gallery - this is really a great piece.

Thanks
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Thanks for your comments, Hans. I know what you mean about the shaped tenons. I tried a couple versions of the shaped tenons as I was building it and never could get them right. They seemed too busy or too cute. And they drew too much attention, distracting from the rest of the design. I think if the curve could be done to extend the use of other curves already in the design it would work. But it seemed like it was adding yet another element, which was a mistake. At least that's what my wife said, and she has a good eye. Frankly, there was also the issue that it would require two sets of tenons with two different curves top and bottom on each, and that any misalignment would be much more obvious as the curves showed more or less reveal in the joint. It seemed like a good time to agree how right my wife was and move on. (Even if she just wanted me to move on and finish it already.)

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    It seemed like a good time to agree how right my wife was and move on.
    Nelson
    In my experience it's ALWAYS a good time. Thanks for the explanation. It's tempting sometimes to get too cute with design features for the sake of them. It looks great and once again, congrats!
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"