Thread: Just a basic set of planes

Cool Just a basic set of planes

These are the basic planes I use. Don't have any specialty planes, yet. Just some good old vintage planes. SDC13821.jpgSDC13820.jpgSDC13819.jpg A #6, a #5, a #4H, a #3, a #220, and a #9-1/9. This is just the "around the house tool box" set. I do have a few others available. The #6 is used as a Jointer, due to the small size of wood items I work with. The #5 is more to dress up rough wood, as in reclaimed wood. Yes, it has a steel "Toad", er , frog, but that is all that I need for the rough wood being used. The #3, and #4H take care of the smoothing tasks, very nicely. The two block planes? I think I can find SOME use for them. As for all of them being smooth bottomed planes, well, I have yet to notice any difference between a smooth bottom, and a grooved bottom plane..SDC13822.jpg just a "Marketing Hype"? Here's a look at the two #4sSDC13823.jpgNot much difference, other than age.

Anyone else have a basic set they wish to post here? Feel free.

Blog Entries
    Some more have been purchased and some sold since this picture was taken.

A Lot of Planes 9.1.09.jpg

This picture doesn't show either of my #8s.

Believe it or not, they almost all get used at some time or another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a complete set of Stanley Bailey bench planes (all 23 units) and almost a complete set of Stanley Bedrock bench planes (no 602's) but unlike Jim, I only use about 5-6 (#3, #4, #4 1/2, #5, & #7 or 8).

Steve: I have 2 questions. What is a #9 1/9 as I not sure I have ever seen one and just where is the "peak of Ohio"?

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI. (the Mitt/glove state)

I know Stanley made a "4H" but I have never seen one--nor do I see one in your photos.

The Highest point in ohio is Campbell Hill, about 2 miles east of my house. City is called bellefontaine, ohio.

The "9-1/2" is a small block plane. Has an adjustable mouth. Mine has a piece broken off of one side, but still works just fine. SDC13818.jpgIt is sitting out in front. Seems Stanley also made a "9-1/4" size, and a "9-3/4" size. Similar to a Stanley #15. One could even add a "handle' of sorts to the back end of these planes.

The local radio station here is called WPKO. The local JVS school sits at the old Air Force Radar Station on Campbell hill. Just down the road a bit to the east from this hill, is Mad River Mountain, the local "Ski Resort".

The #4h in my picture was made for Sears, and is labeled as a Craftsman. It is very thick in the casting, and very heavy. Sole is almost twice as thick as any of my other #4s, including a Type 11, #4c i have out at the Pole Barn Shop. "H" does stand for Heavy, right. SDC13668.jpg I think this one was just after WWII.

The only two Stanley planes in that "Basic set" are the two block planes. The #6 has aUnion style lateral, with "SAVAGE" stampe into the iron. Stanley bought out a Seth Savage back in 1855. Iron is 2-1/4" wide. The #3 is a Fulton, with a West German iron. I can trade out the Craftsman #4 (H) for a Union #4G from 1915 era. I also have a Union #3, from the same era, in case someone doesn't like Fultons being on the list. While the #5 in the photo is a PARPLUS #5, I do have a Bailey #5, and a Handyman #1205. I left off from the list a Bailey #8c, a KK7, and a Union #5A ( Stanley #5-1/2 size). I also have a few other block planes sitting around. The planes in the photo just happened to be in house at the time.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-07-2012 at 3:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The Highest point in ohio is Campbell Hill, about 2 miles east of my house. City is called bellefontaine, ohio. Just down the road a bit to the east from this hill, is Mad River Mountain, the local "Ski Resort".
    Ah yes Ohio's Alpines. When I first moved to Ohio in 2000, I as told that you could see the entire state with a strong telescope and standing on a tuna fish can.

Stan

Of course, there are other "sets" in my shop..SDC13224.jpgThe Handyman Set ( I also have a block plane from the set)SDC13449.jpgThe Union SetSDC13448.jpg The Stanley/Bailey Set, andSDC13451.jpgsitting with the handyman planes, a few "other"planes. Big one in the back is a KK7. So, does anyone else have a go to set of planes, that they use the most often?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Of course, there are other "sets" in my shop..SDC13224.jpgThe Handyman Set ( I also have a block plane from the set)SDC13449.jpgThe Union SetSDC13448.jpg The Stanley/Bailey Set, andSDC13451.jpgsitting with the handyman planes, a few "other"planes. Big one in the back is a KK7. So, does anyone else have a go to set of planes, that they use the most often?
    Hi Steve, sorry to dredge up an old post but what are your thoughts on union planes compared to others of the same era?

Stanley liked them so well, they bought them out about 1920 or so. Union planes were about the same level as Stanley at the time. The only difference was in the way the lateral adjust lever was mounted. Union's swung the iron with the lever, instead of Stanley's leaning the other direction. Pivot points were different.

Irons were as good, if not better than Stanley's.

The Basic Set of Planes..
    FULL till.jpg
    And a place to keep them.
    L-R: Stanley #7c, #6c, #5-1/2, #5c, Millers Falls No.14, No.11, No.9, No.8, Stanley #4 T-20.
    There is a Wards #3 and a Stanley #4 T-12 in the upper corner. Block planes include #9-1/2 , a #9-1/4, and a #220. Others are hiding down there somewhere. Oh, and peeking out from under the till? Stanley #64 spokeshave.

Just happen to like the older Stanleys, and the Millers Falls planes. Unions are long gone. Sargents come through the shop from time to time, and then go on down the road. Still have one Sargent/Fulton...a #3416 Trans. that seems to work ok...

Here's my basic set of smoothers Norris A2 through A16

IMG_0188.JPG

And a basic set of longer planes, mostly Norris A1s
    IMG_0189.JPG

I love planes!