Thread: Help with JET JWL1236

Help with JET JWL1236

Hey guys, I just picked up a jet jwl1236 with a chuck and a few other things but the motor is having some issues. I just couldn't pass it up for $50. Wondering if you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

The owner said he was test running it and the cord got hot and the motor started smoking a little. When I picked it up tonight we ran it and it ran fine, but it sounded like a large rusty wheel rolling, about the best I can describe it. Wasn't overly bad though. The cord did start getting warm though. The lathe was definitley stored in a humid garage.

Does it sound like the motor is bad or does it sound like I may be able to just replace the bearings? If I do have to replace the motor, are there any cheaper options other than factory? Definitley doesn't seem like a standard motor? Any ideas or things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. This lathe is the first quality run from the factory that makes them for Jet.......there are clones......one is the 1236 lathe at harbour freight........same lathe.....likely their own motor. You can go on line and look up the lathe and then the parts diagram and get the part number and call their customer service about the price.........should be an identical hook up. If you need bearings, get the part number for those as well..........should be good to go!

here is the link for the manual: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...4999/34706.pdf
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-07-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My motor and cord gets pretty warm if I rough out something heavy. I had a lot of squeaks in my 1236 with the original belt for the first 8 years or so. Changing to a link belt made a difference too, but I digress.

Try this. Remove the belt guard (three screws on left of headstock, one on top, i think)..remove belt, run just the motor, no belt and see if the noise goes away. If it gets cool and quiet, the problem is in the Reeves pulleys/or spindle. You'll also be able to see more of the motor mount with the guard off. Obviously, you wnat to reinstall the guard when troubleshooting is done, so keep track of the screws.

I work near IAH, but live way out on I-45N. Depending on how far "down in Houston" you are, I might be able to swing by after work one day and have a listen and look around with a laser temp gauge, and a meter.

Cheers,
    Don