Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size power feeder

I am in Bloomington, IL and have a 1/4hp Grizzly feeder and the extra gears for sale if interested. Ill be back in IL Next Sunday.

Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I am in Bloomington, IL and have a 1/4hp Grizzly feeder and the extra gears for sale if interested. Ill be back in IL Next Sunday.

Mikie
    Badabing! I've used the 1/4 HP Grizzly and it should be fine for that shaper. The extra gears are good to have.
    JR

I have a ¼ hp Grizzly on a 3 hp Delta shaper. With the stock gearing it is too fast for some of the bigger profiles. When I raise panels I use the optional slow speed gearing of 13 fpm. It still requires two passes. If I were to try it in one pass it would overload the shaper.

Used on my 3 hp Unisaw the feeder can bring that machine to its knees in thick boards/fast feeds.

I would like to have a bigger feeder but not for increased horsepower. The bigger feeders have stouter and longer arms. Quite useful in certain situations. The fourth wheel can also be of benefit. The tracked feeders really look the best, but I have no experience with them.

I should also mention after market wheels can make a big difference. I run the extra soft blue wheel from Western Roller on one feeder. On another feeder I have fat wheels for extra traction on stuff like mdf. Also available from Western Roller.

I don’t think I would even consider a feeder bigger than ¼ hp for a 1 ½ hp shaper. Weight is the reason. I swing my feeder out to the side quite frequently to hand feed…like with a coping sled. That much weight on a small shaper will make it dangerous tipsy.
    Larry

I have a 1/4 hp Delta and I wouldn't want anything larger. These things are heavy.