Thread: Help! Need to find source of pictured morticing bits

Help! Need to find source of pictured morticing bits

I have used all sorts of morticing bits on my MiniMax Horizontal Morticing machine. Bird's Mouth, Spiral, Carbide, Solid Carbide, etc., you name it.
    But none compare to the bits shown here. These are incredible, in a class by themselves! I used on hard and soft woods and only had to make a few strokes to touch up edges.
    I would be very grateful for a lead to a source. Mine have worked so long and hard, I have not have had to replaced them. My work horse 1/2" model was dropped by a helper and it shattered on impact with the concrete floor.
    Serious reward for help finding a source for them.
    Thanks in Front
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

I got mine from Laguna as recently as 9 months ago. They had long slot mortise bits with the stagger tooth like you pictured, Leitz was the manufacturer IIR, offered either left of right twist, solid carbide and HSS models, carbide being a fair bit more expensive. I too love these bits, they are razor blades, they cut a very fine precise slot in the hardest of woods. I use bird's mouth cutters for shallow and narrow slots, but for the big stuff these can't be beat. I'd give them a call, seemed easier to get exactly what you need from a person in this case than from the online ordering system. Or if you have a Leitz dealer you might be able to get them directly. Garniga may make something like that too, and if so Rangate is a good source for garniga tooling, and garniga tooling is all top shelf.

Well, I just looked at Laguna's site and they don't advertise those bits at all, that may be why I had to call? I described them to the salesman I reached and he recognized the product and still able to source it last spring. I had originally bought a few sizes of those type of cutters from them with my slot mortiser and love them but needed a few different sizes and a back up. Hope them can help you.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 12-09-2012 at 7:56 PM.

Here is a link to a source in UK, not sure this helps, but you can forward the product ID to whomever you may end up dealing with.

http://shopuk.leitz.org/product.php?...Y&chash=3cd0ed

Yikes! That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Here is a link to a source in UK, not sure this helps, but you can forward the product ID to whomever you may end up dealing with.

http://shopuk.leitz.org/product.php?...Y&chash=3cd0ed
    What size do you want, Peter. It's on me!
    FRITZ

LOL, I'm good Fritz, I just stocked up, but thanks for the offer. I just hope you can source what you want without much trouble. IIR the last Laguna rep I spoke too said they were trying to offer more cost effective cutters, and while thats nice, offering the best option at the market price would be nice too. I'm hoping they still sell them. I suppose from an inventory perspective thats difficult to manage? Good luck and let me know how you make out. I suppose you can always order them from London!

Leitz USA is all over this. I also use Leitz quick change, self-aligning blades on my planer (SCMI S520) and they are very good as well. Better, I feel, than the Tersa knives on my Minimax P/J in terms of toughness and longevity.
    Nice to have the mystery in my rear view mirror.
    FRITZ