Thread: Table saw electrical question

Table saw electrical question

My table saw is dual voltage and I want to swap it over to 220V because it is closer to a 220V outlet than it is to a 110V outlet and I could eliminate one extension cord in my shop. On 220V it draws 8.6 amps. The cord is 14/3 wire. Is this sufficient for 220V, in which case I can just change the plug, or do I ned a different cord?

Dick

Hi Dick, the wire gauge is determined by the current it's required to carry, not the voltage.

14/3 is fine for 8.6 amps it's rated for 15 to 18 amps.....................Regards, Rod.

Thanks much Rod.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Holt View Post
    My table saw is dual voltage and I want to swap it over to 220V because it is closer to a 220V outlet than it is to a 110V outlet and I could eliminate one extension cord in my shop. On 220V it draws 8.6 amps. The cord is 14/3 wire. Is this sufficient for 220V, in which case I can just change the plug, or do I ned a different cord?

Dick
    Dick,

You can re-use the cord and change the plug but PLEASE remember you must also move a wire or two within the motor termination box. Otherwise it may damage your saw.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Thanks for the reminder Jim. I did "rewire" the motor and changed the plug. Works great. One thing I did notice is that the motor gets up to speed much faster than before. And now I have one less extension cord in my shop.

Dick