Thread: Cutting corian

Cutting corian

I have some Corian to cut and wonder which side the saw teeth should start to get the best finish. Thanks in advance, Kevin

I was under the impression that Festool has a saw blade specifically for "solid materials"...

The usual advice I see is to use a tooth count and to tape the joint. If you cut slightly over-size and then clean it with a router bit, that can be even better.

I assume that you are cutting a counter-top, so check the warranty to see if they have any comments on treating after a saw cut (like, do they allow it without some other method to clean the cut, or do you need to round the edges).

+1 on the router. I made some ZCIs by cutting them to width on the TS, using a 60T 10" blade, then routed the semicircles. All very smooth.

You can cut it on the table saw. Most people recommend a blade with negative rake on the teeth, and maybe 60 teeth.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

To get the best cut on solid surface material, you need a triple chip grind blade (TCG) with a zero to negitive hook..
    Similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBSS-10...wnorthwinda-20

My solid surface specific blade is 80 teeth TCG. I can't remember if it's a negative hook, although I think it is. You can also cut solid surface with a jigsaw. With either table saw or jigsaw, you'll want to finish with a router.

Kevin - Cut with the finished side up. Chris and Mark describe it best with a triple chip blade or router - its a no on the jig saw here. The blade or bit ( which ever one you use ) should go in a singular direction. The jig saw will cut solid surface but too rough IMO and may cause " stress risers" from the up and down motion of the that type of blade, these sometimes appear later as cracks. We have cut large radius with a band saw ( blade always going in one direction ) and trimmed up with the router.
    Router gives best results by far, it also makes the biggest mess. You will want GOOD dust collection and a breather.

Kevin

If you don't have a lot to cut, a triple chip blade is not necessary. A cross cut blade with 40 to 60 teeth for a 10" blade will work well. I always recommend that you cut at 30 inches per minute to get the best cut and to reduce the fine dust. regardless, finish with a router and sand to eliminate any stress risers.

I hope this helps
    Ken
    "And now for something completely different..."