Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No. 60 Bench - Cherry with Carbon Fiber

No. 60 Bench - Cherry with Carbon Fiber

Here's a bench that I completed last week. It's of my own design and combines a few ideas i have been tossing around in my head for some time.

My design was selected to be in a gallery exhibition put on by The Farnsworth Art Museum and The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship both located in coastal Maine. Once I received notification that the design was selected - next I had to build it. Over the past 2 months this has consumed my nights, weekends and any other spare time that was available. The show will run from January 18th until mid-April.

The wood is cherry and should darken significantly once it sees some more sunshine due to the oil based finish. The carbon fiber was great fun to work with as it was my first experience working in composites and I can see I'll definitely be doing more with it.

Please offer you critiques as I'd like to hear your thoughts about my design.

Thanks!
    NWB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Totally awesome Nick!! The design is just too unique. I'd love to hear more about the carbon fiber, how its shaped and how difficult it is to work with??

Very nice bench though, it definately deserves to be in an exhibit.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Very cool looking bench. I like the coopering of the bench, and the contrast of the high-tech material with the cherry. It looks comfy, too.

Nelson

Definitely high tech and your craftsmanship is superb. Nice blending of materials.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

That is definitely cool!

Looks great! Never seen anything like it!

I know it will look good in an exhibit... but... how does it sit?? Front edge looks kinda steep for a shorter person. I'm guessing it's fairly solid sitting too - probably zero flex.

Todd

absolutely beautiful.great talent.

Thanks guys!
    It was a really fun one to build, it challenged me and allowed me to grow in many ways.

The coopering was my idea to explore the versatility of the material. it turned out pretty well. They are glued with spline keys in each joint (16 joints with 10 keys in each joint).

The carbon fiber has always captivated me as it has an industrial look and the shapes it can create seem to be limitless. Prior to this I had no experience working with composites so there was a definite learning curve for me with the process and the general 'rules' of the medium. I used a vacuum bagging technique for the carbon which allowed me to produce 3 exact copies. These supports actually have a nearly triangular cross section before it hits the seat the core of this was created with two layers of 3/8" "wacky-wood" or bending plywood.

The shape of the legs and uprights was a derivation from numerous hand sketches inspired while on a plane this past spring. Somehow, when I glanced down, across the aisle at the aircraft aluminum seat leg I saw a leg made of cherry that I NEEDED to include in an upcoming piece.

Thanks again!
    keep the questions coming,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Todd,
    It sits pretty well. It's comfortable for me, pretty average build 5' 10" 180lbs. but then again it was pretty much built to my butt....

Picture of me should help give a better idea of proportion too.

There is a little flex in it but i believe much of that comes from the bent laminated legs/feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very original and attractive design! I love the cherry/carbon mix, they compliment each other quite well. Thanks for sharing .

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    Todd,
    It sits pretty well. It's comfortable for me, pretty average build 5' 10" 180lbs. but then again it was pretty much built to my butt....

Picture of me should help give a better idea of proportion too.

There is a little flex in it but i believe much of that comes from the bent laminated legs/feet.
    OK, thanks for posting that picture - it's larger than I has visualized.

I hope you get first place!

Todd

Beautiful design and execution! It appears to not only be a visual winner, but a comfortable piece also.
    Will be interested to hear any additional info about the carbon fiber.

Jim

WOW!...That's all I can say...

Wow, is all I can say too !
    MARK

A+++++++++
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!