Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No. 60 Bench - Cherry with Carbon Fiber

Nice bench. Sketchy human model, though

Nick, can you share how you clamped up the cooper?

This is really inspiring work. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Nice bench. Sketchy human model, though

Nick, can you share how you clamped up the cooper?

This is really inspiring work. Thanks.
    That's an understatement about the model....

The clamping process basically consisted of 6 pieces of cable with crosby clamps on one end and a fixture on the other end that used eye hooks as turnbuckles to pull the slack out of the cables. the glue up of the seat was done in 4 phases(3 separate glueups of 4-5 staves each; then one final assembling the first three sections plus the last few staves.... if that makes sense...). Installing all of the spline keys certainly slowed down the glue up but I feel they were crucial to the strength of the bench.

Next time I'd change up the order in which I glued up the staves as it was quite stressful alone. I would likely do more glue ups and start on one end and head straight through to the other consecutively. I would also attach the first stave to the fixture to assist in support as this seat is quite heavy.

Thanks again!
    NWB
    2012-10-13_13-25-24_504.jpg
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

when you are going to show the bench to someone, you should say "Hi, I'm Nick. I'm from the future..." guaranteed you'll sell a ton of them. You can thank me later.

On a serious note. I'm astonished. Amazing and beautiful work. have to admit, it's the first time i've been wowed by a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    when you are going to show the bench to someone, you should say "Hi, I'm Nick. I'm from the future..." guaranteed you'll sell a ton of them. You can thank me later.

On a serious note. I'm astonished. Amazing and beautiful work. have to admit, it's the first time i've been wowed by a bench.

Craig,
    I like that logic. I'll give it a whirl and put your commission check in the mail!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    N
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Beautiful...excellent craftsmanship!

Blog Entries
    Wow! Really inspiring Nick. Thanks for sharing
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

WOW!!! I love the combination of cherry and carbon fiber. The design is elegant and beautiful. The carbon fiber braces flaring into triangles on the back make me think of organic branches supporting the bench from the back.

Since you asked for critiques, I will say that in my opinion black screw heads would look better than the silver ones do.

Awesome work, thank you for sharing it with us.

Everybody,
    Thanks for all of your kind words. It's a design that had been milling around in my head for some time. It was very exciting to see it come into reality!

We dropped it off at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship this weekend, and with any luck it won't come home - meaning that The Farnsworth Museum purchased it!

Here she is delivered:
    2013-01-12_11-15-00_531.jpg

Thanks again!
    Nick

Congrats!

Farnsworth? As in "Heaven can Wait" Farnsworth?

Simply...outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Nick. I saw it at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship gallery.

Thanks Jay!
    It's in good company at the Messler Gallery at CFC. Honored to be there.

It's still for sale ...
    Thanks,
    NWB

That's totally cool! Nice design. Especially like the legs. I love mixed media projects.

Blog Entries
    Superb job and excellent design. I too do a lot of Carbon fiber work. Just finished a truck with 2 consoles, 4 doors & a bed kit, all in CF. Sure itches if you get the dust o n you.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

15. Good lord - I can't see any way to improve on the design or execution. I don't like bold but this is bold without crossing that line to contemporary. Congrats. My only question would be "Is it comfortable?".