Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet JWBS-18 Bandsaw questions

Blog Entries
    Joseph... read the 4th tool line in my sig. I'm quite happy.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

dan......i'm very glad that you're happy with your jet BS. however, the OP didn't ask about a jet jwbs-18qt. i believe his question referred to what i assume to be an older, based on the model number he specified, jwbs-18 as he omitted any suffixes relating to tension release features and noted it was 1.5hp motor, the OEM motor size of the jwbs-18. that saw had a reputation for frame flexing leading to inadequate blade tensioning and related maladies. i believe the inadequate nature of the jwbs-18 as one of the lesser jet products is fairly well known. and speaking as a former owner of a jwbs-18, i am quite happy now that it is no longer part of my shop.

Blog Entries
    Duly noted...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    that saw had a reputation for frame flexing leading to inadequate blade tensioning and related maladies. i believe the inadequate nature of the jwbs-18 as one of the lesser jet products is fairly well known. and speaking as a former owner of a jwbs-18, i am quite happy now that it is no longer part of my shop.
    A lot of people take magazine tests to heart, and develop a dislike for a tool based solely on it.

I can tension a 3/4" blade quite adequately on mine. I can resaw 9 or 10" 1/32 thick quite ok.

You may not like the saw but I would be interested in your personal observations of the frame flex - I suspect there are none but what you have read on the internet and/or magazines.

Happens all the time......

ken......which model do you have and how old is it? here is the one i had. 2503852170104952478NfTEyS_th.jpg . here is what the current models look like (see the link):

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwbs...-3-4hp/710750B

note the difference in the column design (square (old, mine) vs triangular (new)). so if there wasn't a problem with the old column design, jet changed to a new design just for the heck of it? and if i were better with the search function here, i believe i've seen posts here attesting to the less than satisfactory nature of the performance of my model jet BS.

i still believe the OP would be better off considering a different BS. and given my unsatisfactory personal experience with jet's technical support, IMHO, he would be better off with either grizzly or rikon.
    Last edited by Joseph Tarantino; 12-14-2012 at 2:48 PM.

so james, what did you ever do about your band saw purchase?

I ended up buying the Rikon 10-345. Woodcraft made me a good deal on it. Just unloaded in my shop today. I hope to have put together by the weekend. I know, no pictures, no saw.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hicks View Post
    I ended up buying the Rikon 10-345. Woodcraft made me a good deal on it. Just unloaded in my shop today. I hope to have put together by the weekend. I know, no pictures, no saw.
    How is it going?