Thread: Yet more dust collection questions

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

Yet more dust collection questions

Must get tiring to keep reading dumb questions from us amateurs, but here they are:

(note 1 my main interest is protecting my health, reducing sweeping/cleanup is secondary)
    (note 2 I have limited options to connect every machine, so compromises are necessary, I just want to do the best I can given my limitations)

1. how important is dust collection for a lathe? Seems that the chips generated are pretty large and might not be that dangerous. Obviously I am assuming I won't be sanding on the lathe.

2. I know minimizing flex is important. I am trying to get a line to a shaper fence hood. Bringing the ducting down from the ceiling and splitting it with a wye gets it pretty low which would cause the flex to have to bend back upwards somewhat. Avoiding the wye to start the flex higher from the ground, means the flex to my table saw cabinet port becomes longer (6 feet versus 4 feet) to feed the saw from a different wye.

Just a observation. I have seen some photos of pretty high end machines (some photos supplied by the manufacturers) where there is a mile of flex weaving in tight S curves laying on the floor. Wouldn't this just about push their static pressure losses through the roof? Why show such photos?

James

1. You will be sanding at the lathe. Sanding under power is much much much less tedious than hand sanding after. and sometimes the 80 grit gouge is.. well.. yeah. I've just used a piece of 5" flex and held it between my legs for quick one off sanding and it works.. pretty well.. not nearly as good as a real sanding hood though.
    2. For flex do the math. Its roughly 3x the loss of straight pipe. If you're in the right CFM range you're in the right CFM range.

You can't explain marketing photos.