Thread: Intro and Project Planning Request

Intro and Project Planning Request

Hi everyone,

I'm a former cabinetmaker (6 years) now slaving away as a software developer and carpenter on the side (better bennies writing software). I need to furnish a master bedroom you can see here. After deciding I don't want to pay huge portions of my salary to Art Van Furniture, I'm looking for plans and/or guidance on building my own furniture. I'm not interested in carving anything by hand, but I would like furniture that looks better and lasts longer than the junk made by Sauder Woodworking.

My main question is this: can I download plans for reasonably "easy" but stylish woodworking projects somewhere? Where would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Woodsmith magazines are a good source, if you don't mind using a little plywood in your case work. They have a website, google it, and I am sure you can find it. I believe they still sell plans, or they have published a couple books you can find through inter-library loan.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Scott,
    Welcome to the Creek. A few years ago, WOOD magazine did a series of issues with bedroom furniture plans. If I recall correctly, it included the bed, dresser, mirror, and nightstands. I'm sure it could be adapted as needed. Good luck with your search...and don't forget the PICS!

Welcome to the Creek, Scott!
    Another idea is to go look at furniture, find the style you like, then take some pictures (tell the salesman it's to see how it goes with your other furniture!) and some notes on construction techniques, then go back and build it. One of these days I want to build some copies of our bedroom furniture. We only got one night stand when we bought it 27 years ago, and I've always regretted it. The company is long out of business (Burlington). We still haven't tired of it's look. Now in the bigger house, we could use some extra pieces that match. Good luck and let us know what you decide, and then keep us informed on the progress. Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Welcome to the Creek, Scott!
    Another idea is to go look at furniture, find the style you like, then take some pictures (tell the salesman it's to see how it goes with your other furniture!) and some notes on construction techniques, then go back and build it.
    Hey Jim, I like this idea. Now I just need to figure out where to get the hardware (something I'm sure's been covered in this forum before).

Thanks everyone for the info.

Scott, Welcome to the creek. Here are a couple of links to sites where plans can be had. There are a couple more sites, but most of them have the same plans. I've ordered several from both and are usually quite good.

http://www.plansnow.com/

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/

HTH,
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Scott,
    Welcome. Here's a link to site where someone has built a portal for those after free plans -B for bed:
    http://members.cox.net/messman123/Li...Plans%20Bs.htm

-Steve

Scott---Nothing to add, but welcome to this valuable resource!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Esbrook
    Art Van Furniture
    You must be from Michigan? Welcome either way!

Arts and Crafts plans

Here is another plans site that has some rather good looking arts and crafts style bedroom furniture:

http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com...and_crafts.htm