Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Gloat

Red face Saw Gloat

Today in my e-mail I received a gift certificate from my three sons for Bad Axe saws.
    I am trying to figure out just which one I want.

So many choices..... What is a fella to do.

Thanks to my sons.
    The Woodworking Hermit.

Nice! Any ideas what you are going to be looking at? I have a 16" filed hybrid, 14" filed X-cut, 12" filed rip and a 10" filed rip. I think the 12 inch actually gets used the most (I like the bit longer stroke when dovetailing, but the 10" super nice dovetailing on thinner boards. The 14" X-cut probably gets the next most use, while the 16" not as much yet, but with my bench build coming up, I am going to be putting it to some good use!

It's like choosing between Mary Anne and Ginger... eventually you just decide there is room for both of them...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

14" hybrid.... You will use it for everything

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    It's like choosing between Mary Anne and Ginger... eventually you just decide there is room for both of them...
    Haha, very true. My problem lately is I'd have about as much luck convincing my wife that I need a new saw as convincing her that I need a Mary Anne or Ginger. She'd understand if I bought another one, but then I'd have to understand her new pair of shoes, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Hope whatever you choose will be "sharper" than Ginger ....sure pretty to look at though....
    Last edited by Rob Dickson; 12-14-2012 at 6:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dickson View Post
    Hope whatever you choose will be "sharper" than Ginger ....sure pretty to look at though....
    That was pretty good. I don,t know what Mark calls a Hybrid cut, but a 14" with a 3.5" under spine can be pretty versatile. Just depends what you are looking for or rather need. Best wishes.

One of the great things about Mark is that he will take the time to help you decide which model(s) will work best for your needs. What may be an even tougher decision is figuring out what handle and hardware to order...so many cool choices!

Blog Entries
    I'm with Chris Griggs. I love my 14" Gramercy Sash saw, with the combination filing for both ripping and crosscutting. The thin .020" plate and 13ppi teeth seem to melt through wood at an amazingly fast rate with negligible effort.

Ordered the 14" bad axe x-cut black Friday, so that's my vote.

Also vote Mary Anne

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I'm with Chris Griggs.
    Me too! That guy is inspirational and brilliant! (and very handsome I might add)

I haven't seen this "combination filing" Any explanation,or super closeups(better in focus than mine,please.)

Its really anything that has some fleam, but not as much as true crosscut. Using small toothed backsaws you really don't need much fleam to get a clean crosscut so you can file a saw as kinda a relaxed rip and it will xcut fine. I think the badaxe saw are combo filed closer to xcut - something like 10 degrees of rake and 15 or so degrees of fleam (I don't recal). The gramercy is more like a rip with just a bit of fleam - 5 degrees rake 7 degrees of fleam. In my experiments I have found that I like 5-10 degress of rake and 5-10 degreas of fleam. My combo filed saw is currently filed at 5 degrees of rake and 10 degrees of fleam. I does slow down the rip a bit, but not a whole lot, and it xcuts everything other than really softwoods (eastern white pine) quite well. I actually might relax the rake a bit more (maybe 10 degrees of rake) as I use it more for xcutting than ripping. Its not necessarily a replacement for a big rip filed tenon saw, but for most small to medium joinery rips it works well. I like it because its nice to just sorta have one saw at the bench that works very well for just about anything I do at the bench.

Okay here is a closeup of the teeth on the sash saw I made. Its not a great shot but its the best I could get. You can see the fleam though in the center of the pic where the camera was focused. Yikes, this closeup makes my filing look kinda bad.

IMG_1989.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-15-2012 at 10:03 AM.

I think,from examining the NEVER REFILED teeth on the crosscut Kenyon saw in the Seaton tool chest,that they filed their crosscut saws at about 10º in the 18th.C.. Thanks to aspiring gentlemen who bought tools,but never used them,we have some record of these things.