Thread: will this work?

will this work?

I have an 8x 10 workshop. I currently use a 1.5 hp dust collector with a 3 micron bag. I want to ensure that the finer dust does not stay in the workshop, but don't want to spend a ton of money getting new dust equipment. This unit has only one bag attached to the blower, like the Grizzly G1163.
    Here's my thought for filtering the finer dust coming out of the bag:

1. enclose only the dust bag in an air tight box. Separate it from the blower with a short 4" pipe.
    2.at the other end of the box build a slot for an Hepa filter, like a Merv 13 or better square filters found at HD. This would represent a separate chamber, so the air can only pass through the filter on the way out of the box.
    3. attach a 4" pipe and bring it close to my basement window( not through), which currently has two cheap exhaust fans.

I could bring the pipe outside if I had to, but I am concerned about intake air, so the pipe close to the fan might be a good compromise......, I don't know.

Given the small size of the shop and the modest cfm requirements, it should work. Then again, many have gone to the dark side when it comes to dust.....

I welcome suggestions from folks more knowledgeable than I.
    Thanks
    tc

Hi Tony, welcome!

Interesting concept and may work. I think for it to work adequately, you will have to have plenty of "HEPA" filters on your box. Otherwise, they will plug quickly and that will reduce the airflow through the dust collector. I think a frame build around the bag that holds multiple filters on all sides, venting directly to the shop would be better than a single filter at the end of a box. Make one side hinged for access. If you reduce back down to the 4" after the box, you will create a lot of back pressure and reduce your flow.

Good luck,
    Mike

Invest in a .5 or 1 micron bag. It will be much cheaper than buying HEPA filters by the case!

One option would be to fit your current DC with a good cartridge filter. Wynn Environmental has a good selection, and they've been very helpful. I'm getting a MERV 15 for $168 for my Grizzly 2 HP.

Blog Entries
    Cartridge filters are a good solution for this. If you have an awkward shaped area, American Fabric Filter makes bags to order to fit any odd available area. Cloth bags that are appropriately sized get pretty huge so if the shape isn't a problem, cartridges will give a lot of area in a smaller space. I had an odd area overhead and so went with a bag that would fill the otherwise dead space. I have since relocated it but, the large bag still worked out. With the larger top bag I could use a solid lower bag and actually get better performance. Your shop shape/size will drive your decision. Enclosing the upper bag to add additional filtering rather than replacing it seems like a poor band-aid at best. Your exit point would have to have adequate area (about 200+ square feet for an average performing 1-1/2HP bag unit) so I see a possible space/size issue(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Can you vent outside? A good solution would be a cyclone like a Thien cyclone and venting outside.
    Paul

As I pointed out in my thread, I do have one window with a twin fan blowing air out. I could go straight out the window, but I'd still would want to run a hose from the "bag" to prevent the heavier dust from blowing out the window and to my neighbors. I don't live in the country, with lots of space between me and my neighbors, so I need to be very careful about the choices I make. So, if a filter following a "bag" in the box is unworkable do to back pressure concerns, how close to the fans can a I locate a 4" pvc hose to ensure that the dust gets sucked out by the fans? we're looking at lighter than air dust, so I am making a basic assumption that it, like smoke, will be sucked out if the end of the pvc tube is appx one inch from the fan's intake. This should somewhat control the amount of make up air that would have to come from outside.

If I had not just purchased the Grizzly just a few months ago, I would have spent money on a better solution, like a cyclone. Also, for those of you who wonder about the Trend Air Pro, it's simply great. I put it on, and the fresh air as well as the particle protection keeps me going for hours. So when I am working, I am in good shape. It's when I leave the shop that I don't want the "invisible" dust to invade the house. In theory, by leaving the window fans on, the dust should all go out.

I am tempted to purchase a trash can, attach the two pipes, put the bag inside( seal the lid well) and see what happens. If I understand your comments correctly,by running the pvc pipe from the bag/ box to the outside, I should be ok.

Again, thanks for your input.

tc

I bought 1 micron bags from Penn State Ind for my Delta 50-850. They work well and weren't that expensive.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

All the dust may not be pulled out by the fans unless their CFM equals or exceeds the CFM of the DC.

I am assuming this is a unit with a 3 micron upper bag filter and a plastic lower bag for chip collection. Replacing the upper bag filter with a cartridge filter is a typical upgrade a lot of people do. It has its own set of drawbacks (nothing is perfect), but would probably be the most efficient choice. I am assuming space is a concern as it is for most people. The trash can and hoses will take up some floor space, create back pressure, and certainly reduce your flow at the tool. With a 1.5 HP blower, you need all the flow you can get, (I know this from my own personal experience). Even with the cartridge filter, you will need to keep it clean to maintain flow, or it will cause too much back pressure.

Edit: Just saw Bruce's post. That works well too and maybe a better choice. The benefit of the bag is it is much easier to clean than the cartridge and probably much less expensive. Just turn the collector off and hit the bag to clean it. All the stuff falls in the plastic bag below. It doesn't get much simpler.
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 12-15-2012 at 1:31 PM.