Thread: Cutting through 3M adhesive

Cutting through 3M adhesive

Often times, when I buy a sheet of Rowmark I will have the supplier put the 3M adhesive on the back.

99 times out of 100, whenever I vector cut the Rowmark, it cuts through the Rowmark like butter, but it will not cut through the mask on the 3M adhesive. I can even run the cut job twice and it won't cut through.

My frequency is 5,000 PPI......should I lower it? Should I focus closer to the material? Should I buy and apply my own 3M adhesive?

Anyone have a solution?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

You're talking about the 4-mil PSA stuff? That's bizarre. I've used it on probably a dozen different substrates and never had to change any settings: as far as the laser is concerned it isn't even there.

But I'd consider your experience a feature rather than a bug. Lord knows, as much time as I've spent peeling bits of mask from tiny pieces of PSA-backed veneer, I'd love to be able to cut the veneer and adhesive and leave the mask intact...once in a great while it will, but not consistently.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Steve,

I do that on daily bases without any issues here with 3M 467(2 mil adhesive) or 3M 468 (5 mil adhesive). I even cut through protective film on Rowmark and after cutting holes/shapes I remove top film and send raster part of the job. Doing it this way eliminates cleanup afterwards.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I only have that problem for part of the job when doing a full sheet of Rowmark with small letters and the sheet warps before it gets through the whole thing. Most of the time, and especially with thicker material it cuts through nicely.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It may be 2 mil thick, but it's like trying to cut through titanium for me......here's a picture of a typical result.

Should I lower my PPI?

tag.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Maybe I missed it, but what are your settings?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Steve,
    Could be focus issue (does the sheet lay flat or is it curled up).
    My old ULS 40 watt machine would do similar results in Y direction if material would bow.

Now days with Trotec 60 watt cutting 1/16" Rowmark my settings are 60P / 1.8S / 2k freq,
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Tim.....I'm cutting at 20 speed, 60 power and 5,000 dpi and again......even if I cut it twice (the first time definitely gets through the Rowmark), it still won't cleanly cut through the 3M mask.

Tony.....since it happens everytime and it looks pretty flat, I'm not sure that is the issue.......but I wonder if I should focus down into the material more.

That's really odd for 45 watts, I cut Rowmark adhesive and all at 20 speed 30 power frequency 1000. What is your setting for 1/4" acrylic?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Joe - next time I'll try dropping the frequency to 1,000.

I cut 1/4" acrylic at 5 speed 100 power 5,000 PPI......I just got a new tube about a month ago because it died without notice. The new tube isn't cutting any faster than the one that died (Epilog measured it at 53 watts before it shipped). I've made sure the table is level, did an alignment, and made sure the optics were clean, but it just seems like it cuts like a 30 watt machine. My next step is to buy a new lens to see if that is the problem.

That doesn't seem right, last time I got a new tube I could cut 1/4" at 10, now down to 8 after about 3 years (other settings the same). Take a good close look at your mirrors/lenses especially the ones on the head for scratches or
    bare spots in the gold coating, that makes it absorb too much energy. I had to replace those by the first lens out of
    the tube area and corner lens on the left side are both original from 2005 and still in great shape.

Sammamish, WA