Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flattening a cutting board

flattening a cutting board

I just finished building a cutting board which measures 13 x 19. Unfortunately, I wasn't careful enough to make sure during the glue ups that it was perfectly flat so now it has a bit of a wobble when laid on a piece of granite. It's too wide to fit on my 12" J/P. What is the best way of flattening the board? Fortunately, it's about 1.4" thick so I will still have plenty of board left. Ideally, I think I should find someone with a 16" jointer to flatten one side so it can then be run through a planer. I don't have to take much off but I want it to be perfectly flat. It's an edge grain variety so I don't have to worry about tear out. Ideas?
    Last edited by howard s hanger; 10-01-2012 at 9:47 PM.

It is end grain cutting board?

Edge grain. Very light passes through a planer could work too I suppose, as long as there isn't enough pressure to push the board flat as it's going through the machine.

You could try flattening it with a router setup. I've seen those setups where you place the cutting board between two flat, parallel rails/pieces of wood. Mount the router to a large flat board that rides on those rails and just go back and forth with a straight bit to flatten it. Flip the cutting board over and repeat.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Take it to a local cabinet shop and have them run it through their belt sander. It's worth a couple of bucks to have it done right.
    Howie.........

I prefer a belt sander to flatten a cutting board - edge or end grain. It's the fastest way. You could use a handplane on edge grain, but edge grain on some woods can be tear-out prone for me, so I prefer the belt sander.

I nearly destroyed a lunchbox planer trying to flatten an end grain cutting board. There was one piece standing proud that I didn't see. I will use one of the other methods in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Take it to a local cabinet shop and have them run it through their belt sander. It's worth a couple of bucks to have it done right.
    +1. Shouldn't cost a lot. Hopefully they could get it done and let you watch at the same time.

How about a pair of winding sticks and a handplane?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I would use a router and sled. If you have access to a drum/wide belt sander I would get on side somewhat level with a hand held belt sanded and finish the rest of it up with the wide belt/durm.

I hate to harp on it but this is the reason why it's a good idea to put your general location in your profile. I've done a bunch of stuff like this for fellow creekers when they're close by, and I'm certain that I'm not the only nice guy here. If we knew where you are someone would probably step up and help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I hate to harp on it but this is the reason why it's a good idea to put your general location in your profile. I've done a bunch of stuff like this for fellow creekers when they're close by, and I'm certain that I'm not the only nice guy here. If we knew where you are someone would probably step up and help.
    I would run it through my drum sander if you were close. I am guessing you are not. Hardly anybody lives up here.

It is a unusual cutting board to stay flat. I don't like sandpaper on them because the grit stays in the wood and dulls the knives . I would scrape the board ,then glue on some wood or cork feet about one eighth inch thick. Adjust the height of the feet with a chisel ,then test the board on some sandwich material.

how big is the gap?
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 10-02-2012 at 9:38 PM.