Thread: Epilog 36 ext 120 watt problems with engraving and cutting

Epilog 36 ext 120 watt problems with engraving and cutting

So this is whats going on! I have the 24x36 table 120 watts. I am out of the warranty. When I was under warranty the power supply had to be replaced. So when I engrave in the upper left corner of the table say 12 by 12 area, everything engraves correct and looks good, when I expand out past that area of the table, the engraving is very random looking. For example; doing text it will only engrave part of the letters and do fine on other letters. Like it missed sections of what was to be engraved. So I engrave many times to get it to look the good. When I cut 1/8 birch plywood, the speed is 7 and the power 100 and it struggles to cut through. I use to be able to cut 3/8" mdf no problem. So what can i do to get my machine back to normal? any help would be appreciated.

Lynn

Several possibilities. The easiest to fix is a dirty encoder strip, try cleaning that with rubbing alcohol or windex and a Q-tip.
    Another is the table jumping a notch on a gear, which can happen with an auto-focus plunger crash. Tes the level with the machine off moving the head manually all over with the manual focus tool on. Then if the lenses/mirrors are dirty or damaged the beam weakens over distance, so check those. Hopefully it's not the most expensive problem, weak tube. That can only be fixed by replacing it. If you don't figure it out by then, get on the phone to Epilog tech support first thing Monday, with the holidays there are going to be people off and delays in shipping if you need anything.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Agree about encoder strip. Also, make sure your mirrors and lenses are clean. I could not figure out why my 40W was having problems cutting 1/4". When I finally really cleaned the mirror on the left side, it started cutting like butter again.

I agree, mirrors and lenses are dirty is my guess.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

FWIW make sure the table size is set correctly in your driver. And a thorough routine maintenance cleaning and adjustment of all that can be adjusted/maintained would be indicated.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Be sure and check ALL mirrors too. The number 1 mirror is down low on the back of the machine. It's real easy to overlook and if dirty...well you know.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Lynn,

If you don't happen to have the alignment procedures, contact Epilog and they will send them to you. It sounds like you are out of alignment. If the upper left 12X12 is engraving fine but you are having issues with the rest, get your bullseye out and put it in. Lift the lid, turn on the red dot, disable the x/y and move your carriage around and see if the red dot moves. If it moves around the bullseye you need to align the unit. We use loctite on the alignment screws but even doing that it still will get out of alignment over time.

Looks like it is out of alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    Lynn,

If you don't happen to have the alignment procedures, contact Epilog and they will send them to you. It sounds like you are out of alignment. If the upper left 12X12 is engraving fine but you are having issues with the rest, get your bullseye out and put it in. Lift the lid, turn on the red dot, disable the x/y and move your carriage around and see if the red dot moves. If it moves around the bullseye you need to align the unit. We use loctite on the alignment screws but even doing that it still will get out of alignment over time.

I did put in the bullseye and disabled the xy and moved the carriage and the beam did move away from the center of the bullseye. how do I adjust now? epilog not open today.

Thanks for all suggestions

Lynn

Lynn,

Sorry, was off on holiday. Contact Epilog and they should be able to give the alignment instructions in .pdf format. If not, send me a message and I will hunt them down and send them to you.

Do a full cleaning, alignment and lubrication. Unscrew the covers and get down into the machine with a vacuum cleaner, then go over the encoder strip, lenses and mirrors as recommended. Lubricate as per the manual. Epilog will send you .pdf files with step by step directions for alignment. While you are at it, ask them for the belt tensioning instructions, too. Keep them on file and repeat the process at least once a year or when things look odd. Maintenance avoids and solves many problems. A clean, aligned, properly tensioned machine is a happy machine. --Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Lynn, If you can't get hold of Epilog, PM me your email address and I'll send the PDF instructions.

If this is your first time it may take a while, the next times are easier!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Several possibilities. The easiest to fix is a dirty encoder strip, try cleaning that with rubbing alcohol or windex and a Q-tip.

A while back I was told from Epilog not to use cleaner anymore on the strips, but just distilled water.
    It cleaned up easier with Windex. How about LAZRClean, any one use that for the strip?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

This maintenance info really should be in the manual that comes with the laser. I guess they have some reason for it, but the manual that comes with the machine could be way more detailed. -Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC