Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tear

The Tear

This Basswood form was weeks in the making. Once I finish turned the main body, I really liked the organic form and wanted the end result to be something more than just another vase. Seeing as how this was the last small piece of Basswood I had, I made another trip out to my property and cut a section of limb from a downed Basswood tree to turn for the top.

Turned the top so that it fit perfect and set it aside to dry, which I figured would take a week to ten days. Neat thing about Basswood is that it doesn’t warp very much while drying. What I didn’t know, but learned the hard way, is that it does shrink! My perfect lid ended up being way too small to use, so I turned another!

Basswood, 11” high x 5” diameter x 1/8” thick. Dyed blue with TransTint and given multiple coats of gloss wipe-on poly to get that wet-like and highly reflective surface.

The Tear v1.JPG The Tear v2.JPG The Tear v3.JPG The Tear v4.JPG
    As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It surely is a different shape for you, Steve. The turning is impeccable as always. The dyes don't do you justice on basswood. I would really like to see you turn another and attack it with an airbrush and acrylic paints. Maybe even throw on a coat of gesso so the paint colors remain true. I'll bet you could make it look like a real tear drop because the shape is so good.
    faust

I like this Steve... Neat turning, and something different.

Timely as well.

I really like this Steve. I have some plain pieces that I think using some dye would help. Another technique on my list to learn.

Toby

I really like this, Steve. The vase without the lid is beautiful but is was a brilliant stroke to put the top on it, completing the water drop shape. I'm also interested in your decision to fade the color so that the darker area is in the upper part of the form. "logically" one would think to make the lower part darker to "anchor" the piece. Reversing it has given the form a sense of floating and the darker color of the upper part keeps pulling the eye back up to the top. As a well known alien would say... "Fascinating".
    David DeCristoforo

This is a really neat piece, Steve. The color is really nice and the shape is very pleasing. Love the glossy finish, too!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Very nice, watery blue, Steve!! I know you worked with this quite a bit, and it paid off very well. Great form! When we discussed this one, I was having a difficult time envisioning the top, but you brought it together with style. Well done!

8. Innovative Steve......congrats on a fine piece.......the top made it complete! Something from you that was not southwest style and it should show well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice Steve! If you ever make it down to Tomahawk stop by and I can fix you up with all the basswood you would like!
    Tom

It's a winner for sure Steve!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Your dye work is always amazing!! Not an "Off-the-shelf" form to be sure...I like both parts!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Steve,
    That looks very cool! Very interesting shape. I assume it's hollowed out all the way? Color looks great also.

Really nice, Steve. I like the shape and color

Thanks for all the comments everyone - I do appreciate them!

David - wish I could take credit for planning a unique method of dyeing but the honest truth is that the vase is turned endgrain.. so all the grain at the largest circumference is facegrain and it accepts less dye than endgrain. As you progress either direction from the largest diameter - you encounter more and more endgrain and that stuff just wicks in the dye!! I did experiment with shellac as a way to control what gets color and how much - but I like the natural colors you get when you just let the wood accept what it will. To me, water at it's largest diameter reflects more light.. so this effect is exactly the effect I had hoped for.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very different (and cool) Steve. When I looked at the thumpnail I thought to myself "did he hollow that out from the bottom?"
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------