An ~8" dia branch came down last spring from my Honey Locust tree back by my woods property line. I got out the chain saw and cut the fallen branch into mostly firewood for seasoning but split a couple of the largest log billets into candidate bowl turning pieces and let dry some in my garage for the past 8 months. I prepped one of the half log billets today and turned it ... tough stuff, but I really like the colorful grain pattern. Thought I'd share some pics.

Tom
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A Honey Locust tree has many large thorns. Leaves are typical of locust trees in general ... small and oval shaped. Here are two photos of a Honey Locust tree that I downloaded from online ... my tree is just like what is shown in the photos. Nasty looking thorns.

Here are two photos of the finished 6" dia x 3" deep bowl. The first pic has the bowl sitting beside a half-log billet from the same tree showing the wide yellowish sapwood in contrast to the reddish-brown heartwood. One of the ~3" long thorns is still attached to a tough stem on the side of the half-log billet. The wood is dense, very heavy, very hard, and strong in bending. I bandsawed to rough round shape. Rough-turning the outside of the bowl to completely round was a challenge -- very tough and hard wood. The bowl sides are fairly thick to emphasize the toughness of the overall wood. The bowl is quite heavy weight wise for its small size. I finished the bowl with paste wax and couple of spinning coats of BLO.