Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Remote Switch

dave.....just curious about the appeal of a remote to activate the DC vs. an autoswitch like the ivacs, which activate the DC when the tool is activated? i've never understood the appeal of a second operation to activate the DC. not challenging anyone's idea, just looking to understand the thought process.

Joseph,

Just my $0.02 here but...

I use both. My large fixed tools are on auto-switch but other items, such as my floor sweep, I control using a remote.

If you decide you need the remote, it's a personal question of value for you as to whether or not to hard-wire some tools.

YMMV..

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Just wondering if it is a potential problem to be frequently cycling a dust collector on/off frequently as may be the case with a machine triggered system? We have a 25hp Torit Downflow which we control with a wireless remote, we try not to fire up the machine more frequently than necessary.

-kg
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

Yes, Kevin, there is a potential problem if it occurrs too frequently as the motor can overheat. To (at least partially) offset that, the ivacswitch can be set to remain on for 45 seconds after the power goes off if, for example, one were making a number of cuts with a miter saw. If you knew you'd be doing it a lot, you can also turn the DC on manually at the tool. It still saves you from walking. :-)

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

[QUOTE=Dave huber;2022960]Would someone who uses a 110v remote to switch a 220v DC relay please post some detail of their setup?
    I'm getting ready to install one, and would rather use the wheel someone else invented, especially if it keeps me from making a silly mistake.

Dave Sorry that I did not think to explain my system's wiring. I use a 3 phase 40 amp 220v relay with a 120 volt coil to run my DC. The 120 control volts comes from any RF or IR remote control unit you have. My power relay is in line with DC starter this way start can still protect DC's motor. I only use two contacts of three on my relay to power single phase 3HP motor on my DC. The other contact on relay is use to power up dust bin full sensor, to keep from over flowing bin. Hope this helps. Tom