Thread: What to do with an old (but unused) RAS

What to do with an old (but unused) RAS

I have a unused lower-end Delta RAS that I bought at a weak moment years ago. I never even set it up. I already have a nice SCMS. So, are there any dedicated uses for an RAS that make sense and justify the floor space? I don't need a "permanent" cut off saw to break down long lumber. I've seen Norm use one with a dado blade, which is nice for some stuff (assuming my version would be accurate enough). Any ideas before I craigslist this thing?

I've been offered several RAS's since I got my shop. The only dedicated use I can think of that would be at all useful to me would be setup as a dado saw, but I really dont think I want to use the space. I'd just sell it.
    Duc in altum!

I have a 30+ year old Craftsman that I use for cross cutting stock to rough dimentions. Works great. Worth the space no question. The after market for such a saw is less than $100 here in Georgia...so I keep it....cause it's worth more to me for what I use it for than what I'd get on the market. Speeds up the process too when dealing with stock more than 4 foot long.

Thomas,

Most any Delta RAS is nicer than just a 'cut off saw'. If you set it up with a fence that has stops, it will be a very accurate crosscut saw. I have a DeWalt Miter saw, and use the RAS at least 10:1, probably much more. It makes repeated cuts right on the money.

Since you have it, why not try it out?

What model is it?

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    There are plenty of people out there that find them indispensable. I would look for one of those guys ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    There are plenty of people out there that find them indispensable.
    Like me. My DeWalt is my goto tool for crosscuts, miters, compound cuts, anything but ripping.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Here is a RAS repurposed in to a drum sander. The conveyor belt is from a tread mill. It looked very well made. But I didn't buy it. I did buy another tool he repurposed, but that is a different story.

Ancora Yacht Service

Someday I hope to buy a used one just for dados.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....