Thread: HEPA vs Spun Bond Oneida filters.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

HEPA vs Spun Bond Oneida filters.

When it becomes time to replace the filter on my Oneida Pro 2000 (5hp) dust collector, what are the trade offs between the HEPA and regular Spun Bond (other than price). The HEPA should trap smaller particles that make it into the filter, but will it have enough additional static pressure load on the system to reduce the ability to even capture the small stuff at the source?

I know there are a million variables here, the ducting I'm installing, the quality of the hoods on the machines, the type of dust the machine generates and at what speed it flings the dust into the surrounding air.

But still, there should be a general rule of thumb that would allow me to pick the better choice of new filter without considering all the above (at least I hope there is).

Thanks.

James

My choice would be between Nano and Hepa. Nothing wrong with spun bond but the other two filter better with not much more pressure drop. The MERV difference of 15 vs 17 isn't a big deal in my world as you don't really generate dust smaller than.5 micron with woodworking. Bigger issue is surface loading, and ease of cleaning. I went nano but mainly because I saw it used in so many commercial pulse jet units and I liked what Dick Wynn had to say about them. Have not used a Hepa - or hepa like- as true hepa are not reuseable so take that for what it is worth. I did try a spun bond and it did well according to my Dylos but the nano were better, had more filter area and cost close to the same. Dave

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    David, where do you get the nano? Wynn?

You can buy Nanos from a bunch of places but need to specify inside out rather than outside in. I bought from Wynn because he was very helpful and gave me info about cloth filters that he couldn't sell me as well. I'm in the accounting business and try to find small business guys to work with as I know they are a dying breed. I'm running 4 nanos on my 7.5 hp blower and would run three on a 5 hp even though you can get away with two. 500-600 cfm per cartridge or 2cfm per sq ft is what they are rated for. Very tight pleats but the larger chips stay out of them and the fine dust settles on the inside surface and falls off or blows out pretty easily. Having said that I plan on using Beane cloth filters for the collector on the widebelt. Cartridges are less than ideal for heavy sanding dust. Dave