Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threading and Ball Turning Jigs from the UK

Threading and Ball Turning Jigs from the UK

Hi All;
    I now have both the Threading and Ball Turning Jigs and they are both great. Time has been in short supply with lots of projects on the go but last night I just had to give both Jigs a tryout. I had an idea for a threaded Ball so I made one.
    The pedestal has three burn lines and you cannot see the joint.
    Having too much fun.
    Peter F. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Ok they look really great love the threading work. Now where did you get the tools and how much are they. I might have to talk to Santa myself.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Seen these type of threading jigs before and remember thinking "now that's a smart way of doing it" fancied one myself but just could not justify the price, seems to have made a good job of things though Peter.

Ok guys you asked;
    I am not a salesperson for these units but I did have in depth discussions with the Manufacturer, Kevin Young in the UK. The Jigs are great and sell at much less than other units you will have seen to date. You can see the Jigs on ebay under the Seller "Boffin53". Contact Kevin and discuss the possibility of getting a unit with the 3/4" x 10tpi internal threads in the Nose piece. This allows you to use the Nose as a Chuck adaptor for fitting it on your Live Centre. Thereby saving you the $50.00 for the other manufacturers adaptor. To be able to reverse your chuck onto the tailstock will take your turnings up a notch or two....
    There is a possible importer / distributer being set up in NH, time will tell if this works and he will distribute to Turners in North America.
    My Threading Jig, 16tpi version with a 1" Post and for the DVR XP 1.25" spindle. Cost to me delivered was $150.00 CDN. (same in USD).

I really like both Jigs, they work great, note the picture of Threading a Ball. I had hoped to put the cutter into a 3/4" hole but the wood (Box Elder end grain) was too soft and I had to use some CA and make the hole a little larger (7/8").
    Mike Pearce and Peter Elliot of SMC have also indicated an interest in the Threading Jig. So we will see how this goes in time.
    good luck
    Peter F.
    Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 12-20-2012 at 9:41 PM.

Neat work and great looking jig Peter!

Peter
    Do you have his e-mail address,if so please send it to me. Just PM me.

Hi Harry;
    I may as well post the email address for Kevin Young so anyone can contact him:
    gearedup@gearedup.karoo.co.uk
    Peter F. Tell him I sent you.

Peter
    Thanks for the post of the jigs and again for the e-mail. I think you might get him some buyers.

Peter, if you find the opportunity, a posting with some pics of the process of using the threading jig to do female and male threads would be interesting!! I am intrigued by the possibilities here.

Thanks in advance should you decide to do this.

I have seen several pictures of the threads Peter has added to inside and outside turnings and they are first class. The process looks fairly simple and a little learning curve. I am still thinking about one of these for myself Peter. Have you tried any cutters from other sources with the threading jig?

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I too am very intrigued. I am in the market for a ball turning jig so this may have an even greater advantage. More photos and more details would be great. Seems like a reasonable price.
    John T.

Hey Peter. I too am very intrigued. I hope it doesn't sound too stupid but do you suppose you could explain just why we might need to have it attach to out live centre.
    I for instance have a oneway lathe and have and adaptor that allows me to mount my chucks on my live centre. Would I still require the adaptor?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Hi All;
    To Peter Blair first: - the Nose /adaptor is only for those that do not have one presently. It is just a way to get one and not have to pay separately for one.. Eg: If you have a live centre with 3/4" x 10tpi threaded end then buying the Threading Jig can reduce your cost of getting an adaptor if you buy the Nose that is Threaded for this. Not at all a bad question. You seem to have the best of all worlds with your Oneway set up. There is very little that you cannot do on with such a nice Lathe.

To John and Sid: - Thanks for the nice comments, I will be doing a club demo in Feb 2013 in Toronto so in prep for that I will run through the process. I can easily take pictures and post the process. Always happy to help.

It is nice to hear that there are others interested in the Threading and the Ball Turning Jigs. The opportunities are endless and I look forward to seeing this topic go forward.
    Peter F.

Thanks, Peter! I look forward to the pics. If someone videos the demo, perhaps it could be uploaded to YouTube and linked here, or even embedded here. I am not familiar with that process, but I think it can be done.

Thanks Peter. Much appreciated this is what I thought.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .