Thread: router dust box

router dust box

I have a question for those who have have built a dust box around their router.

Do you find it a big difference with a dust collection box around the router than just putting a big dust hood under it?
    Is there allot of heat in enclosed box?
    Also does the dust and wood chips get clog up the in the motor?

Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 12-21-2012 at 12:27 AM.

I installed a Rockller Dust Bucket on my router table. I have not noticed the router getting hot. The dust collection is very good and I would buy one again. It has a adjustable port for air so there is not too much suction that you can't move your work and I think the amount of air moving from around the bit and that adjustable port provide plenty of air for cooling.

George

I made a simple MDF box for my router table last weekend, not sure that I could justify spending money on something like this. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but knowing how much dust was getting on my toes when I didn't have it, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be effective...

I had a box around my router in my last table. The airflow that was created by the dust collection suction was enough to keep the router cool. Be sure to make an adjustable opening on the opposite side of the dust port. That way you'll create a "cross breeze". If there is no opening to let additional air the dust collection will be starved for air.

Blog Entries
    Do you find it a big difference with a dust collection box around the router than just putting a big dust hood under it?

- Absolutely.

- Not with proper dust collection.

- Same as answer 2 in my experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta View Post
    I had a box around my router in my last table. The airflow that was created by the dust collection suction was enough to keep the router cool. Be sure to make an adjustable opening on the opposite side of the dust port. That way you'll create a "cross breeze". If there is no opening to let additional air the dust collection will be starved for air.
    Another way to prevent starving your DC is to simply leave another blast gate open...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Another way to prevent starving your DC is to simply leave another blast gate open...
    Wrong! The dust collection box needs ventilation, a different thing altogether.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

- Absolutely.

- Not with proper dust collection.

- Same as answer 2 in my experience.

Are you using a 4" dust hole under the router or from the side?
    And for the ventilation hole, does it matter how big it is?
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 12-21-2012 at 4:07 PM.

A few people built a baffle around their router which pulled the dust off before it gets to the bearing/brush end of the router