Thread: Bad Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw vibration

Bad Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw vibration

I recently set up my Grizzly 514X2. I've had this saw four years but could not use it due to several personal reasons. Anyway, I turned the saw on and it had a very bad vibration. With an indicator, I was getting about .010 inch of vibration. For those without an indicator, this is about 5 times too much vibration to allow a nickle to stand. Think “coffee sloshing” vibration.

When the saw was stored, it did not have any tension on the blade. However, the motor belt could easily have taken a set in this period of time. Or, I was thinking it could be a multitude of other issues.

I decided to strip everything from the saw to determine the source(s) of vibration. With just the motor running, no pulley, I was getting about .0015 inches of vibration. A nickel would stand at 90° to the motor but would wobble. Adding the motor pulley increased vibration slightly. Connecting the lower band saw wheel with a new link belt doubled the vibration.

I decided to balance everything using the Westlind method http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Ban...Balancing.ashx. Before I could get started however I recieved some leveling pads I'd ordered from Enco for the saw. So I decided to put these pads on as the first step. To my surprise, they made a HUGE difference. Although I had attempted to level the saw using wooden wedges at each corner, I guess I hadn't done a very good job.

The bottom line is I have a very smooth running saw now without having to balance anything. I thought I would post my experience because I'd read a couple of posts about vibration in this saw. I will say the saw is extremely sensitive to having a stable foundation. Further, the vibration dampening properties of the leveling pads may also have some benefit. In any case, the vibration is now well under .001 inch with everything original except the link belt.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-21-2012 at 4:35 PM.

I generally like mine, but one of the big disappointments is the base is really flimsy....and it's not even flat. Even the slightest little bit of vibration gets amplified as it wobbles about on the base. I finally ended up putting mine on one of those plywood mobile bases for no other reason than to give me something to screw it down to.

The link you posted is very informative!

Thomas,

I concur, due to my my garage floor not being flat, I realized real quickly the importance of balance- its amazing the huge effect it makes. Out of curiousity, which pads did you use from Enco?

I used this one: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=325-6627

Unfortunately, a 1/2" stud won't work (unless you drill the base of course). Next size down was 3/8" for this pad. It's almost always on sale in a flyer. You can buy it for $6.79 each if you order 4 or more with this product number: PT325-6627.

Blog Entries
    I may have to give those a try. I have my G0513X on a mobile base and use the four-corner levelers on that to compensate for my flooring. I have never moved the saw in all these years and the base does increase the footprint (and provide sharp wheel brackets hanging out to catch things on). I always level machines with mother earth before I set them up; I don't know where I picked that up. The bandsaw runs very smooth and spooky quiet (I too changed to a link belt). I could sure stand to put that mobile base to some better use though, thanks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The base plate on that saw is about like a tin can. I sent mine back, but if a guy picked up a used one, a couple pieces of channel iron welded inside that base would also make a huge difference. The base has the sides bent over and welded, but then they weld the saw frame in the middle of the flat top of that piece with the bent over sides. The flexing base is a real amplifier of the vibration. I sent a brace from the bottom of the trunion to the floor. That killed a lot of vibration. Just curious, does your bottom wheel have lots of balance holes and/or steel plates added to it like the one they sent me?

Once the base is bolted down to something, it's OK. It could be better, honestly, but then again there's nothing that really competes with it in that price range. My bottom wheel doesn't have any steel plates bolted to it. That seems odd. Usually, you just drill a few holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    ...a couple pieces of channel iron welded inside that base would also make a huge difference...
    We put two square steel channel crossbeams in our bases for exactly this reason. That being said, I had one of our saws walk halfway across a show booth because I neglected to use the leveling bolts. Bandsaws seem more prone to this issue than any other machine, probably because they are so vertical and top-heavy. I always make a special point to really level one out when I am setting it up.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    We put two square steel channel crossbeams in our bases for exactly this reason. That being said, I had one of our saws walk halfway across a show booth because I neglected to use the leveling bolts. Bandsaws seem more prone to this issue than any other machine, probably because they are so vertical and top-heavy. I always make a special point to really level one out when I am setting it up.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I have 2 Grizzly 514X bandsaws that I bought about 2 yeas ago. Both of them came with steel cross braces in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I have 2 Grizzly 514X bandsaws that I bought about 2 yeas ago. Both of them came with steel cross braces in the base.
    Ya, guess I was just trying to say that even with the reinforcements, the saw can still vibrate like crazy if the pedestal doesn't have good contact with the floor/base/whatever. If that makes sense.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I have a G 0513X2, I had it on Delta universal mobile base. I didn't care for it because it got in the way of my feet. At the time there were a lot people buying Minimax's and they didn't care for the mobility base they sold with. Then they started buying these which are a knock off of the original. http://www.greatlakescaster.com/grea...-NYP-S-M12.php
    When I went to install them on the Grizzly. I had to add two pieces of 2" square tubing to bolt them to. There was nothing to bolt it to underneath the base. Here they are installed.Bandsaw casters 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    They make the saw much more ridged. Though I have never had any vibration issues with the saw ever. I fact in know what Glenn Bradley refers to smooth and spooky quiet.