Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Example of LaserDarc on maple

Example of LaserDarc on maple

Bought some of this product and thought I would post a pic of the results. This is the product from Smoke-Wood. Not going to save a lot of time, but the results are good. You laser once. put in the powder, then laser again at low power,fast speed. Notice the green color in the logo. I bought black,green and gold. The gold works well on dark wood.
    EZ TEC in color.jpg
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I have had great success with powder coat paint, much cheaper and easier to use than what I saw on their website. I have only used black though, not sure how any other colors work. I laser the wood, sprinkle on the powder, laser again then vacuum the excess. Works great. Plus, Harbor Freight black is something like $8.00 for a 16oz jar. For the price difference, $8.00 vs $69.00, I'd experiment a bit.

Gary

Hi Gary,
    Did you seal the wood first or mask it? I've wanted to try the HF powder coat paint - - we've got few colors left from a actual powder coating job we did.

Thanks
    Vicki

Vicki,
    I don't seal or mask, that's the beauty of powdercoat, it only sticks where it is lasered. I use a variety of implements to put the powder in/on the letters, mostly a very thin paint brush that I simply dip into the powder and then hold it above the letters and tap it to make the powder fall off into the letters. After I get a pretty good fill in the letters I use a business card as a squeegee to ensure the letters are filled. Don't worry about cleanup, simply vacuum after you are all done - use a nozzle with a brush on the end.

One thing though, it took me a long time to get the settings right for the powder coat, too much power and you obliterate it, too little (or too much speed) and it doesn't melt. With your 150 watts I would start with about 5% power and about 60 inches per second.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I have had great success with powder coat paint, much cheaper and easier to use than what I saw on their website. I have only used black though, not sure how any other colors work. I laser the wood, sprinkle on the powder, laser again then vacuum the excess. Works great. Plus, Harbor Freight black is something like $8.00 for a 16oz jar. For the price difference, $8.00 vs $69.00, I'd experiment a bit.

Gary
    Thanks for the info. I tend to go with products that are intended for use with the laser until I find cheaper and/or better. The HF powder is a lot cheaper for sure. Its like $5 per lb right now,but very few colors. I was mostly interested in the gold for another project,it seemed to be a good idea at the time. I bought 3 colors in a kit that came with some brushes, touch up pen etc for $69.00. Still pricey, but it worked and at the rate I would use it, I probably got a 5 yr supply.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Can we assume that air assist would mess up the even coating of the powder? I need to do some experiments with this, it looks good!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Can we assume that air assist would mess up the even coating of the powder? I need to do some experiments with this, it looks good!
    There would be nothing left of it with air assist. You don't typically need air assist on rastering anyway.

You've convinced me to test PC again. My first attempts were failures.

Larry, that's a good example.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I used the SmokeWood product for many years. The price seems like a lot but one jar will last for years. I use it mostly for darkening small type but I don't laser over it to fuse it. I just spray furniture polish (cheap brand), brush on some powder and clean the board with the same polish. Does not provide a color fill like paint does but really helps and is very easy to do.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    There would be nothing left of it with air assist. You don't typically need air assist on rastering anyway.
    Yep, I turned air assist off, ran at 20p/100s. Air assist would definitely not be a good idea,

Larry that example you showed there looks good, I wish you'd posted a pic that we could see that was bigger than a pinhead though.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

12. Anybody tried the loose powder coat on metal like alloy ?
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Larry that example you showed there looks good, I wish you'd posted a pic that we could see that was bigger than a pinhead though.
    How about this one Frank?EZ TEC 2.jpg

I have thought about this when it came up in past threads. I have purchased the powder here in the past http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...g/powders.html . they have many colors and shades.
    Last edited by James Rambo; 12-22-2012 at 9:04 PM.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Always appreciate what you have to offer Larry, but I think I'm going to take up a collection to give you a free photography class.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw