Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Example of LaserDarc on maple

Let me know how much you need Steve. Never mind Larry I've looked on the net and found a few examples.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Always appreciate what you have to offer Larry, but I think I'm going to take up a collection to give you a free photography class.
    Oh really. Sorry it didn't meet your approval. It was about the content..,not the photo. No collection necessary.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Oh really. Sorry it didn't meet your approval. It was about the content..,not the photo. No collection necessary.
    My apologies. It was a joke. Won't happen again.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Definitely only kidding Larry
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Larry,
    Your photography is excellent by my standards.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you Mike and Steve. I don't normally use the camera in the phone because of quality. But, it conveyed the idea.
    Merry Xmas!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

never thought of this, gonna try it. Question, do you have issues with the exhaust sucking out the powder?? what dpi works best? any htoughts on begining setting on a 40 watt laser? Materials to start with OR stay away from, wood, acrylic, metals, ???
    thanks, im excited.
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

I use the Powder Paint from Harbor Freight - about $4 a quart and will likely last for my laser career. Can be messy, but once you have the technique down, it's a cheap way to color fill wood. I usually will follow-up with a light coat of Shellac or other clear spray coating.

A project I worked on a couple years ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...g-chairs/page2
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 12-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    never thought of this, gonna try it. Question, do you have issues with the exhaust sucking out the powder?? what dpi works best? any htoughts on begining setting on a 40 watt laser? Materials to start with OR stay away from, wood, acrylic, metals, ???
    thanks, im excited.
    Are asking about the powder coat or LaserDarc? I didn't have any issues with the exhaust cos I turned it off for that step. My 40 watt settings were 20p/100s/300dpi. LD works on wood and supposedly acrylic. PC may be different and there are huge amount of colors,but not from Harbor Freight.

i was asking about powder coat. is it ok to turn the exhaust off when lasering the pc? Larry, are those settings for PC?
    thanks
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

i was asking about powder coat. is it ok to turn the exhaust off when lasering the pc? Larry, are those settings for PC?
    thanks
    Chad,
    I was doing a small amount of engraving on that piece. I would think that at low power and fast speed the amount of fumes etc would be very small if any because your not really burning anything, your just using the heat to melt the paint. Mine worked fine without the exhaust on. No, those were the settings I used for the LaserDarc recommended by the manufacturer of the powder. If I understand the other posts, it takes a bit of experimentation to arrive at your particular settings for PC. Since the idea is about the same, give the 20p/100s a try as a starting point. You can always add a little more powder and go over it again until you are satisfied with it.

thanks
    Ditto - What Larry said. You want to use just enough power to melt the PC - I use 9p/100s. I've never noticed any fumes or smoke.

Another Powder Paint project - Post # 6 of: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...der%20paint%22
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 12-27-2012 at 1:17 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

The powder coating works great on the JDS leather flasks. I like these flasks but could never get a nice dark engraving until using the powder coating.

Mike

leatherflasks.jpg
    Epilog Mini24 - 45w, Epilog Mini24 - 50w, Epilog Fusion32 - 60w, Epilog FiberMark Fusion - 30w, Corel Draw X5

Mike......that looks nice.......what was your technique for that? For wood, it seems you engrave the wood first, then brush the powder on (or into) the engraving. You don't really get any depth when you engrave leather.....so do you just completely coat the leather and then engrave once? Is it durable?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Mike......that looks nice.......what was your technique for that? For wood, it seems you engrave the wood first, then brush the powder on (or into) the engraving. You don't really get any depth when you engrave leather.....so do you just completely coat the leather and then engrave once? Is it durable?
    Actually Steve there is some depth to this leather. The JDS flasks don't use real leather so I engrave them at 75sp, 40 pwr, 400dpi on my 45w Epilog. I took a small painters brush and just brushed on the powder so it filled all the engraving and then took a straight edge to get the powder leveled off. Takes about 2 minutes per flask to engrave them twice.

Set the engraver at 100 sp, 12 pwr, 400dpi and engraved it again. Its very durable, the powder bonds to the leather very well. I did modify that graphic. Some of the lines were to thin so it was hard to get the powder down in them so I made the lines wider. I do have some other flasks here that are wrapped with real leather, and like you say, you can't get any depth to the engraving but it doesn't matter cause they engrave black anyway.

I actually like the way the powder coat engraves, it has sort of a textured semi-gloss look when you're done.

Mike
    Epilog Mini24 - 45w, Epilog Mini24 - 50w, Epilog Fusion32 - 60w, Epilog FiberMark Fusion - 30w, Corel Draw X5