Thread: 16-32 drum sander paper

16-32 drum sander paper

It's time to buy paper for my 16-32 Performax (Jet now) drum sander. Looks like Klingsor's have the best price. I'm thinking of going with bulk roll instead of the "ready to wrap". Anyone that has gone this route any issues with cutting yourself? And what was the best way you found to cut it?

I haven't found any issues. I cut it with scissors. When you remove the old paper, cut the tapered part off. Now you have a template.

Try supergrit.com. Better prices. No issues. John is right, use the old one as a template.

I use bulk as well. When I took it off the first time I took the time to make a simple template from some 1/4" ply I had in the shop. I simply spring clamp the sandpaper to the template and cut with a box cutter. Truth be told I actually made two template as I discovered that an extra 1/2" of length than what was in the machine (I bought it used, so previous paper of unknown origin) worked much better. I simply store the template with the rest of my rough cut wood.

I use an utility knife and a straight edge to cut my paper. I agree with using the old paper as a template.

I cut bulk paper to length with markings on my shop floor(tape one end or have a helper put there foot on the other end). I used one of the factory cut pieces as a reference for length. Then I use my 12" template that I made from a piece of scrap to cut the angle on one end. I only made one template paying attention to which way to rotate template. My sander has the angles opposite on each end. I use a box knife on a old cutting board with paper side up to cut paper. Then I recycle the used blades in my scrap iron.

When i got some from Supergrit I made a mark on my old drill press table. 5 full lengths of the table plus one to that mark was one piece. Then I cut a template for the ends from a piece of 1/4" phenolic I had around. I had mixed success with what I got from them. I probably ordered the wrong stuff.

Now I have some from Klingspor thats marked on the back.

I made a template from a piece of 1/8" hardboard scrap. Cut it the same width as the bulk roll and cut the taper off a used piece. The dimensions are also in the manual. Write the length on the template. I cut mine grit side down using the template & a disposable utility knife.