Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Thought for Christmas

Blog Entries

Just a Thought for Christmas

One thing that you might do for the cook or baker in your house...

The spatulas (my wife calls it a flipper) we have purchased over the years all seem to come with a square edge. This doesn't work well with hot cookies and other things for that matter.

This is one of the places where my preference is for bevel up. It only takes a few minutes depending on what sharpening set up you have. Don't make it sharp like a chisel or other edged cutting tool. Ours are not real sharp, but sharp enough to cut some items while they are cooking. Do not use these in coated pans. We only use wood or plastic utensils in our coated pans.

It might be wise to ask first or just go out and buy a new one, give it a bevel and see how they like it. Of course if you do it as a surprise, it can always be returned to a blunt edge with a little more work.

Merry Christmas,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The spatulas (my wife calls it a flipper) we have purchased over the years all seem to come with a square edge. This doesn't work well with hot cookies and other things for that matter.
    Ahhhh...the eternal question....whats the preference? A bevel up or bevel down cookie jointer... Not to worry Honey, I'll look after this nasty end grain cookie dough!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

This is one of the places where my preference is for bevel up. It only takes a few minutes depending on what sharpening set up you have. Don't make it sharp like a chisel or other edged cutting tool. Ours are not real sharp, but sharp enough to cut some items while they are cooking. Do not use these in coated pans. We only use wood or plastic utensils in our coated pans.

It might be wise to ask first or just go out and buy a new one, give it a bevel and see how they like it. Of course if you do it as a surprise, it can always be returned to a blunt edge with a little more work.

Merry Christmas,

jtk
    Ha, nice idea. My wife was fussing about this yesterday, and your solution never even crossed my mind.

Thanks.

"Honey, where are you going with my spatulas?"

"Out to the shop. They need sharpening."

<insert picture of wife shaking head and sighing>

"Yes, honey, these sharpening stones are expensive, but for tuning your kitchen utensils, I don't mind spending the extra money".

Good idea, Jim!
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    "Yes, honey, these sharpening stones are expensive, but for tuning your kitchen utensils, I don't mind spending the extra money".
    My mistake was in not telling my wife that the kitchen knives had been sharpened. It scared the heck out of her the first time she cut something. It sliced through with almost no effort. She thought the knife was getting away from her.

The biggest draw back is she may want you to sharpen the knives all the time. My solution was to buy a 1X4 superfine diamond stone for the kitchen. Found a nice piece of hardwood to mount it on with some epoxy to hold it. Thin sliced tomato, no problem.

Of course then you can sharpen the knives on a coarse stone for a while and mention that your good stone seems to have gone bad and you want to buy a new finer stone to restore her knives. Just don't get caught.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I sense the making of next years Lee Valley April Fool's Tool. The Veritas MKV Spatula Honing Guide with the wisk adapter.

This actually makes a ton of sense. Back in my fast food days (Culver's) we regularly sharpened our spatula/turner used at the grill. Even had a simple jig with a bastard file on it.

The spatula wasn't a Spatula City spatula,was it??

Blog Entries
    Not to my knowledge.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    By nine spatulas, get the tenth for one penny!

Interesting ... every spatula I have come across already has a bevel on the top side.

In my experience, sharpening one's knives or kitchen utensils without her knowledge and permission never ends well ...

But in the interest of science, this requires lots of cookie baking in search of the optimal bevel size, location, angle, degree of polish, etc. Who said science isn't fun (or fattening)?

Blog Entries
    But in the interest of science, this requires lots of cookie baking in search of the optimal bevel size, location, angle, degree of polish, etc.
    Don't forget secondary bevels, the Paul Sellers method, back bevels and bevel up vs bevel down.

Maybe there are grants available for culinary research.

jtk

MY spatula has no bevel!!! I am going to have to bevel it now. The teflon ones have bevels,but they are too big and fat.

To those who don't know,the "Spatula City" commercial was a joke commercial,where the guy liked the spatulas so much,he bought the whole company,like the Remington razor commercials.

Humh. Hollow ground or flat ground. Bevel edge or not. Rounded corner? Yes I think so. Hey what about making our own spatulas? Where would we find scrape flat spring steel?