Thread: Blade cover dust collection

1. Blade cover dust collection

I have a basket type blade guard on my contratcor TS (shop made). It is about 4"wide by 12" long by 4"high. I'd like to add dust collection, which would come off of a 4" main pipe and run only about 4 feet to get to the guard. The the junction with the main pipe would be only about 5 feet from the DC iteslf. I already have 4" collectoin under the saw, which works well. The 4 foot run from the mainpipe to the guard would be all flex hose. Would a 1" hose to the guard be sufficient? how about 2.5"? If I add 2.5", should I reduce the under-the-saw connection from 4" to 3"?

I use zero clearance inserts. The only time that above-the-table dust is much of a problem is when I am ripping and one side of the blade is exposed (i.e. ripping off 1/8" or less). But it can be quite a nuissance when doing these cuts.

Thanks

If you can go 4" to the guard all the way I would. If you chock it down you do not gain much.

Do not reduce the under collection to 3", if anything you should look into increasing to 6".
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I agree with Scott. I built a blade guard for my 10" cabinet saw using a lexan box about 4.5"x4.5"x14". The flex hose from the dust collector is connected to the top.

I experimented with 3" and 4" flex hose. The 4" was much better at collecting the dust.

I find it best to adjust the air flows to that most of the air goes to the blade guard and a small fraction of the air flow goes to the cabinet of the saw.

Dale Critchlow

Tom,

Depending on your collector, Scott and Dale are exactly right. If you have enough power you should change to 6" to the cabinet and 4" to the overhead guard. I have this setup on my saw and it works great.

What collector are you using???

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 05-06-2003 at 8:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And another view...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And one more....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd also suggest you stay to at least 3" for the overarm pickup. On the replacement head I made for the UniGuard I had a few years ago, I used a 3" PVC flange with a piece of sheet metal rolled into the opening to make a mount for the hose. It worked out great. (see attached picture) My current Excalibur guard also has a 3" pickup and very little escapes it.

Terry's version of the WOOD guard goes to 4" which will really move the air from your table top!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

8. Follow up question

Dale, Do you use a zero clearance insert? Right now, dustmostly seems to go under the saw when I use a ZC, but of course I have not DC on the hood.

Yep, there's the proof, Terry doesn't do woodworking. That shop is way too clean.
    Jim

Originally posted by Jim Young
    Yep, there's the proof, Terry doesn't do woodworking. That shop is way too clean.
    Maybe he just has an excellent dust collection system...

You heard his system can suck the wax off of the top of the saw. I think he is still looking for the cat, here kitty kitty. The idea of proper DC is to remove the stuff, anything less is not a DC.

Good DC adds another advantage, when you cut your thumb off the dog can't get to it and it is sucked intot he DC container for later retrieval.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs